Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Fixing dinners

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:28 AM
  • 21 Replies
  • 267 Total Views
1 mom liked this
My kids recently have been complaing about having pizza and speghitti all the time .,we are on a fixed budget so it's hard to get things .well this evening I chose a chili casserole it was a flopp mess!! It called for 3 eggs ,flour ,and cheese .bless hubby's heart he was man enough to eat it .my son bitched (sorry for language) and complained about NO MEAT in the dinner!! And had to know what was in it .i have felt really low tonight .it seems I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't .im fed up with folks who want to make a big deal over dinner .i told my teen that the recpice didn't call for meat .he got mad .im just fed up with fixing for those who don't appreciate it at all .
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jett286
by BrewMisstress on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:34 AM

I hear ya!  I have one son that no matter what I cook he's decided he doesn't like it.  Doesn't matter if he'seaten it a thousand times and loved it.  I just make dinner they either eat it or find something else.  I am not a short order cook and will not cook 4 different meals.  BTW I am a caterer and trained chef ~ so it's not like I don't know how to cook a good meal.  I think kids just get funky and food is not a battle I want to fight.  Don't know how old your son is but I wouldn't take it too personally ( I know easier said than done) just keep putting food on the table and if the fam is hungry they'll eat.... UGH teenagers..

pampire
by Sister on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:34 AM
1 mom liked this

If he doesn't like it he can make dinner!  That's how I roll in my kitchen, especially if I've asked for input on menu planning and gotten "whatever" as a reply.  Don't like it? You know where the canned soup and crackers are kept.

pcsainco
by Sister on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:50 AM
Time for somebody to learn how to cook! It is a life skill afterall. Pizza and spaghetti are certainly manageable for him (your teen)...he eats what you cook, or he cooks for himself.

Maybe it's time your kids learned the lesson their dad already has.

A an aside, maybe think about disciplining his rude/obnoxious behavior...you deserve more respect. He's setting the example for the younger kids. Does he drive yet? Have a cell phone? Do they have access to the internet? Video games? All can be taken away until they learn to APPRECIATE what you provide!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Yep, have to agree you are not to be treated like that.  Tell him eat it or make a peanut butter sandwhich....and stick to it. 

cuteoverload
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:50 AM

How old are your kids?  Sit down and plan some meals together.

LACHESIS
by Rachel in AZ on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:13 AM

I was thinking they are never too young to start learning to cook. Mine are 4 and 5 and love helping.  
My 21 year old still thanks for me "making" him help make dinner. :D He is a master at making chicken/turkey ;) but can pretty much make anything now.

((((hugs)))) 

BL2010
by BL on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:29 AM

How old are the kids? Make it a family affair of planning meals for the week. How many people in your family? Do you have a crockpot?

mrgetinold
by Gold sister on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Im on the same dinner heck as you are! Here is my new wrinkle my dh threw in the wheat belly diet ( so now i get to read all the ingredients at the store) i make him almond flour bread and wraps ( what a pain u know where that is!) And omg my kids im not a short order cook,( no wheat, no pasta, potatoes or beans) is just mind blowing? I m ready to say go in and find your own dinner and clean up the mess you make im going on strike! Better luck to you with your dinners ( have you looked up taste of home online they do budget dinners, just a thought) hugs
cuteoverload
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Have them go shopping with you and fix dinner

to SISTERHOOD

My name is Margie, divorced, single mom, criminal justice professional, mother of two sons ages 26 and 29.  It's nice to meet you and want to welcome you to our family of sisterhood where you are loved as both friend and family.  If you ever need to talk, just make a post and someone will be there to listen.  Have a wonderful day.  I live in Kansas, which is the center of the US.

pattybear156
by Sister on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:18 PM
My teen is 17 and drives ,plays video games ,and still expects dinner . Drives me nuts !! My 9 yr old girl doesn't know how to cook ,but sticks with our basic meal plan and stays with it .i did set them down and said "give me a list of meals you will eat " I just got a huff and cook books set aside .i do own a crockpot and love it !! (There again,the kids won't eat it) tonight it's crab cakes for hubby and I and the kids can have a pizza or whatever.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)