Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

I guess its time to really get the awareness out......

Posted by   + Show Post

As you all know I have full custody and trying to adopt my oldest granddaughter. Tinker has been with me since day one and never left me except 3 weeks when she was a month old. She is going on 7 next week and she is the light of my life.. With that said.....

I walk to pick her up from school so I get up there 15 minutes early. I have been talking to some of the parents the last few days and come to find out that out of 10 parents that 8 of us are raising a child that they have or adopting. They are either a child of someone in the family or placed with them. We all got together and was talking and amazed the number of us that are start over moms. We are a proud bunch and proud of our babies and will keep talking and supporting each other.

This awareness needs to get out because each year the number of people who are raising a child that is another families child (for whatever reason) has grown to over 3 million and grows each day.

I would never change my life and the others will not either but if we dont have awareness for legal matters and support we might lose our child back to the parent even if it is 10 years later if they dont have custody.

Hugs~~

Join the fun at 40ish and beyond ~~ www.cafemom.com/group/7446

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Replies (11-20):
rosebud727
by Mac Goddess on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:11 PM
2 moms liked this

I hate to say this because I don't want it to be misinterpreted but I find this trend really disturbing. I'm glad that grandparents or other family members are stepping up and raising family members but I just find it really sad.

I do remember while working at the elementary school district a growing number of Grandparents raising their grandchildren. 

looneymom424
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I was talking to a lady the other day who said a woman gave her her baby at a yard sale.  The baby was not sitting up yet he was 7 months old and 9 lbs he definitely needed a new mom...The grandparents didnt want him he was biracial.  The mother had 4 other kids.  I was surprised this lady took him but she has full custody and the mom took off to Iowa they even found the dad.  the baby has some major medical issues also...They werent even blood but they took him.

SeanandNoahsmom
by Manning Fan on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Wow, 8 out of 10 were raising someone else's kids? i had no idea there were that many; I don't know how the bio moms let go of their children. I simply couldn't bear it. I agree it should be easier for family members to adopt children they have raised; and if there is anything support we as citizens can do, please let us know, Dana. Kyleigh is a lucky little girl.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:30 AM

I guess I rather see these babies go to someone in the family or a good home rather than what happen here last month.. A worker of WAl Mart went in the bathrom and found a new born baby girl who the mom delivered and it died. She left it and ran away.. Baby Jane Doe was buried yesterday alone and mom was never found. If momma would have just gone to the hospital or yelled for anyone maybe baby Jane would have lived and be with a family in a warm crib.

Many children are killed daily because of bad parenting or parents dont want them and rather no one else takes them. How many starve to death or abused because momma just dont care? How many children suffer because drugs and drinking are more important and the family rather NOT step in? This is why we step in because if we dont where will these babies be?? The stories I hear daily just makes me sick about what these babies gone through before someone step in...

goins1119
by Bronze sister on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:37 AM

I was raised by my grandmother. If she hadn't decided to keep me and raise me when my father brought me over to her house for Christmas at the age of 9, I probably would be dead right now because my stepmother was trying to kill me. So I applaud you for stepping in and raising your next generation. I pray that every thing goes well.

way to go

Quoting dana63:

As you all know I have full custody and trying to adopt my oldest granddaughter. Tinker has been with me since day one and never left me except 3 weeks when she was a month old. She is going on 7 next week and she is the light of my life.. With that said.....

I walk to pick her up from school so I get up there 15 minutes early. I have been talking to some of the parents the last few days and come to find out that out of 10 parents that 8 of us are raising a child that they have or adopting. They are either a child of someone in the family or placed with them. We all got together and was talking and amazed the number of us that are start over moms. We are a proud bunch and proud of our babies and will keep talking and supporting each other.

This awareness needs to get out because each year the number of people who are raising a child that is another families child (for whatever reason) has grown to over 3 million and grows each day.

I would never change my life and the others will not either but if we dont have awareness for legal matters and support we might lose our child back to the parent even if it is 10 years later if they dont have custody.

Hugs~~

TerriAnne2606
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Good for you.  I would certainly do it!  :)

Refurbished
by Sister on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I've lived in 3 homes in the last 10 years.  In all three neighborhoods, there was a kid that was being raised by a grandparent that lived close by and played with my kids.  I never saw that when I was growing up.  I think you are right that it is a growing trend.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:56 AM

When I was growing up we never saw a child being raised by a grandparent UNLES the parents were killed. Now we did see co parenting where the grandparent lived in the home and helped the parents. My grandma lived with us for several years and she co parent us when my dad was in the field and my mom was working, even though grandma worked she would take us to school (she worked in the school) and brought us home and we did homework and grandma cooked and mom would come home and we had dinner. They put us to bed and they would sit in the living room and talk. This was then and now grandparents dont co parent but actually parent the child{ren}.

firelites
by Anne on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I hope the legal issues goes smoothly for you and Tinker, she deserves the stability, best to you

Shopsha0911
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:32 PM

y mother had custody of my Nephew until she couls no longer take care of him. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)