Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

I guess its time to really get the awareness out......

Posted by   + Show Post

As you all know I have full custody and trying to adopt my oldest granddaughter. Tinker has been with me since day one and never left me except 3 weeks when she was a month old. She is going on 7 next week and she is the light of my life.. With that said.....

I walk to pick her up from school so I get up there 15 minutes early. I have been talking to some of the parents the last few days and come to find out that out of 10 parents that 8 of us are raising a child that they have or adopting. They are either a child of someone in the family or placed with them. We all got together and was talking and amazed the number of us that are start over moms. We are a proud bunch and proud of our babies and will keep talking and supporting each other.

This awareness needs to get out because each year the number of people who are raising a child that is another families child (for whatever reason) has grown to over 3 million and grows each day.

I would never change my life and the others will not either but if we dont have awareness for legal matters and support we might lose our child back to the parent even if it is 10 years later if they dont have custody.

Hugs~~

Join the fun at 40ish and beyond ~~ www.cafemom.com/group/7446

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Replies (21-30):
hau_siyoka
by Doll Baby on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:48 PM
I WAS RAISED BY GREAT GRAMMY ....A 50' LOVE CHILD AND FIRST BORN 5thGENERATION...MY GRANDS ARE THE 7TH RAISED ON THIS FAMILY COMMUNAL LIVING..TRADITION... I CARRY IT ON AND KINSHIP ADOPTION IS A LONG PROCESS BUT MORE WE STEP UP YOU HAVE A CHANCE TO KEEP YOUR FAMILY TOGETHER .....REWARDS COME LATER ON AND MY OLDESTS ARE 21.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
25beengoodtome
by Crazy LiL' Sister on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Seems as if each generation shocks their parents. Imagin how the year 2525 will be !

hau_siyoka
by Doll Baby on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:13 PM
I LUV MY BABIES AND THEIRS THERE ARE NO STEPS BECAUSE WE ALSO HELP THEM WALK AND HELP IN ANY WAY.....ITS A TOUGH PROCESS. BUT THEY NEED A REFRESHER COURSE / FAMILY. INTERVENTION....SUPPORT GROUPS SO I INVEST DAILY AND ALLOW THEM TO RE -LEARN AND SHARE.LIFE WITH A LARGE FAMILY.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KW1280
by Silver sister on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:01 AM
K* is a kinship adoption from my hubby's family. The moms rights were terminated and she cant have him back! He has been w/ us since his release from the hospital
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
caro100
by Bronze sister on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:07 AM

I have an 18 y/o that I have practically raised and now lives with me full time.  He had 2 blended families, but never felt like he fit either place and so has been at our house for a great amount of timesince he was about8 or 9 y/o.  Enough time that the hubs and I felt like we should be getting some child support . LOL  Anyway since he has turned 18 he has lived full time with us, his Dad toild him since he turned 18, he had pretty well met his obligation and he'd appreciate it if he found other lodging.

OldnWiseMom
by Sister on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Quoting dana63:

As you all know I have full custody and trying to adopt my oldest granddaughter. Tinker has been with me since day one and never left me except 3 weeks when she was a month old. She is going on 7 next week and she is the light of my life.. With that said.....

I walk to pick her up from school so I get up there 15 minutes early. I have been talking to some of the parents the last few days and come to find out that out of 10 parents that 8 of us are raising a child that they have or adopting. They are either a child of someone in the family or placed with them. We all got together and was talking and amazed the number of us that are start over moms. We are a proud bunch and proud of our babies and will keep talking and supporting each other.

This awareness needs to get out because each year the number of people who are raising a child that is another families child (for whatever reason) has grown to over 3 million and grows each day.

I would never change my life and the others will not either but if we dont have awareness for legal matters and support we might lose our child back to the parent even if it is 10 years later if they dont have custody.

Hugs~~

Wow, Dana!  I just never thought about it before!  Oh, how I wish someone could have helped me when I needed it! 

Your granddaughter is one blessed child to have you!

I will spread the word and hopefully ppl will be more supportive and helpful and accepting...

Thanks for sharing with us and expanding our hearts just a little bit more...  ;)

lbzmom
by Support Team Sister on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:31 AM

It is a wonderful thing you and these other parents are doing.   

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I agree that there needs to be more awareness and support. Right now my dd's bf's family is in a panic state because their dil is moving across the country to live with a man she really doesn't know and is planning to take the children. The grandparents are the only stability these kids know and the mom just wants them as a tool so she can receive state benefits.

tambrathegreat
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I have a client friend who is in the same boat, raising kids of her step kids.  I feel for you all and appreciate the hard work you have ahead of you.  Hugs to you and the kids you love.

letstalk747
by Joyful on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:32 PM

more awareness for sure , i see grandparents daily at my youngest's school that have their kids  kids

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN