Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Debate question 1/22

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:12 AM
  • 27 Replies
  • 420 Total Views

Before I begin this is NOT a bash post for the President or anyone in office, please refrain from bashing them.

I have heard many say they were upset with the up scales parties and the millions of dollars that is spent to hold these events. These events could and maybe should be on a lesser budget to show American that are suffering that they are important and the economy is important enough to take this money they would have used and placed it back to the American people.

The economy has decreased in the last four years (average  medium income household by over $2100 a year) and poverty levels are even higher than 4 years ago.

Again without bashing, should these events be on a budget that isnt millions of dollars? Thoughts?

Join the fun at 40ish and beyond ~~ www.cafemom.com/group/7446

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rosebud727
by Mac Goddess on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I was just discussing this very topic last night after dinner. In my opinion, a president elected for a second term doesn't need to have a lavish inauguration. A simple swearing in and a private (very small private party) should be all that is needed for a second term president.

Do I think overall we should scale back on the inauguration events? Absolutely, the reported cost for this event is still unclear and historically second inaugurations are less but it will still be a significant amount spent.

His first inauguration was reportedly $170 million.

maryg38
by Sweet Mary <3 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:43 AM
Holy moly that amount could get us out of debt with collectors!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maryg38
by Sweet Mary <3 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:46 AM
Any way 2nd term should just be small. Considering where our economy is at
dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:47 AM
1 mom liked this

$170 million could help those who didnt get to eat last night because it was either feed the family or pay the electric bill. I think that a small party with a nice dinner should have been in place. Maybe ask one of the Chef donate their time to cook and cut the cost. I think instead of placing us in futher debt why not stay on a budget around $5000 and keep to it.. JMO

rosebud727
by Mac Goddess on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Quoting dana63:

$170 million could help those who didnt get to eat last night because it was either feed the family or pay the electric bill. I think that a small party with a nice dinner should have been in place. Maybe ask one of the Chef donate their time to cook and cut the cost. I think instead of placing us in futher debt why not stay on a budget around $5000 and keep to it.. JMO

Now, let's be fair that reported $170 million was from the first inauguration, lol.

Crazy costs huh? I will be watching for the final tally on this event. There were 10 inauguration balls at the first one, only 2 last night.

TableforSeven
by Silver sister on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:30 AM

I believe that there should not be huge celebrations like these.  I see no reason for anything but the swearing-in ceremony....and even that, I see no reason to have an elaborate event.  I see no difference between a first or second term....swear them in and get to work.

maryg38
by Sweet Mary <3 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:35 AM
Why do they even need another inauguration? They were already sworn in once to do the job. Nothing's changed.... Well a few people will have different rolls.
cjcharlie1959
by Dungeon Queen on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I definitely disagree on the big party thing regardless of whether it is a first or second term.  Until the budget is balanced and we are out of debt, no parties. Take the money for hte parties and feed the people or put it into a program or pay off a debt. 

RubyQ
by Gold sister on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:42 AM
2 moms liked this

Well, first you have to understand who's budget you're discussing.

"Other than the swearing in ceremonies, events and festivities associated with a presidential inauguration are not government functions and are not paid for with taxpayer money. Presidential inauguration committees raise money from private donors to hold these events."

Now, if we want to talk about money from any  private donors, including the above, that should be spent in a more wise manner, and possibly applied to any one of our present day social ills,  then I would start with the far more vast amount raised by political super pacs. Then we might make a dent in the hunger issue.

BL2010
by Snookims on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Yup, I don't think it needs to be as extravagant as it is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)