Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Before I begin this is NOT a bash post for the President or anyone in office, please refrain from bashing them.

I have heard many say they were upset with the up scales parties and the millions of dollars that is spent to hold these events. These events could and maybe should be on a lesser budget to show American that are suffering that they are important and the economy is important enough to take this money they would have used and placed it back to the American people.

The economy has decreased in the last four years (average  medium income household by over $2100 a year) and poverty levels are even higher than 4 years ago.

Again without bashing, should these events be on a budget that isnt millions of dollars? Thoughts?

Join the fun at 40ish and beyond ~~ www.cafemom.com/group/7446

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:12 AM
Replies (11-20):
elfling811
by New sister on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I think a smaller budget for the parties would be wise, but when is our govenment concerned about being wise?  I do think the money could be spent on more worthy causes....like feeding Americans that need the help.

starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Personally I think the parties are wrong.. Whether I like the president (whomever it is at the time) or not I think they should have a small gathering at their home that doesn't put out others (and they pay for it themselves).  The people that raise the money for just the parties...couldn't they do that for the homeless, hungry and families struck by disaster-I mean they NEED it more...in the name of the president? 

Sorry, but I have a very sour taste in my mouth in regards to our people right now in the government...more for "me me me" than the people...these days...

cuteoverload
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:21 AM

If we need to decrease so she they.

Lizardannie1966
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I do believe that in this day and time, when so many in our country are struggling from private citizens to businesses, that these lavish million dollar parties are tactless and unnecessary.

annasmom1234
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:27 AM

They should absolutely be on a budget! 

sunflowers12
by Silver sister on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:52 AM

well, i really have no words i just hope and pray we all can make it through ok...

badlandsgirl
by I am a survivor! on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this

The inauguration parties are paid for by donations from contributors. Are they lavish? Yes. We pay the cost of the Secret Service to protect the President. How can we decide what the event budget should be when it is paid for by contributions?

kaarina
by Boston Strong on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I don't think for a second inauguration, it needs to be that lavish. I also think that the president and his family should cut back on the lavish vacatons that they take several times a year. It costs us taxpayers quite a bit to foot the bill for security, etc etc.. To me, it shows poor taste, and lack of responsibility and empathy,  to be taking so many vacations when most of the rest of the country is hard pressed to take one not so lavish vacation a year.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Quoting kaarina:

I don't think for a second inauguration, it needs to be that lavish. I also think that the president and his family should cut back on the lavish vacatons that they take several times a year. It costs us taxpayers quite a bit to foot the bill for security, etc etc.. To me, it shows poor taste, and lack of responsibility and empathy,  to be taking so many vacations when most of the rest of the country is hard pressed to take one not so lavish vacation a year.

And so many who cant take any at all because they are working hard to just make ends meet and pray they have enough each week to buy food or even for that matter the price of gas going up to make it to work each week..

Join the fun at 40ish and beyond ~~ www.cafemom.com/group/7446

hau_siyoka
by Doll Baby on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:20 PM

When an official comes into office I feel there should be a modest celebration...In the position of president being re-elected I would enjoy the traditional swearing in and get back to business to jump into those promises and fixes promised.

We already know what needs to be done and money well spent always helps the country more than a celebration... Just stepping away one time would have spoke volumes...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)