Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

lately when I'm washing my hair I notice that more and more chunks of my hair is coming off. I have long hair but it is alot thinner. anyone else noticing this?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Replies (21-24):
stayathome510
by Sister on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I have the same problem, very distressing....I recently started taking Biotin, after trying other things with no results.  The Biotin is working and guess what????  It doesn't cost alot of money as all these other hair treatments do and it works from the inside out, unlike hair products.....

Lurion
by Sister on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Stupid question--do you mean ingesting coconut oil, or do you rub it on your scalp?

Quoting dana63:

I have never had thin hair until I started Peri Meno and then I could actually make a wig with all the hair loss. I started Coconut oil and my full hair is getting fuller again to the point that I commented yesterday while I was combing it that it was thick and long like witchy poo.. lol

teentotsmom
by New sister on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes i have had the same problem about 4 mos or so. I did lose some weight, so this could be your reason also, if you have too. I went to the dr to get my thyroid checked, and protein levels. Which both turned out fine. She recommended me to take Biotin 5000 mcg, its for stronger nails and hair. So I have been taking it, and its helping a lot! Also I am using multiple different shampoos that are strenghtening from the scalp area(because this is where the hair is coming out from). I am still losing it, but not as much. I guess its the norm they say as being in our 40's!!

Good luck and I hope I helped a little!

Alicia

Ashgreymane
by Sister on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Oh, honey, I hope this works for you. I had short hair much of my early life for assorted reasons; criticism the main one. When I finally grew my hair out, it was a personal triumph of spirit. To have it break off after a pregnancy in which I did everything RIGHT, health-wise, just seemed oh-so unfair. It hurt my heart, if you know what I mean.

It was a symptom of other physical problems, though. I do hope you will investigate iodine supplements (Iodoral or Lugol's Solution) magnesium, vitamin C, selenium, and vitamins B-2 & B-6. I can't say I have a mane of hair again, but what I have is pretty healthy and doesn't break off anymore. The shampoo is a huge part of that. A nice, country hairdresser gave me the low-down on shampoo: She said the cheaper ones are full of formaldehyde and water, and that's what we're paying for. ??Never heard that before, but okay; I'm desperate. She gave me some samples, and that's when I saw the differences I first mentioned. If you can wrap your head around the fact that the clean, conditioned hair is very knotty, you'll be alright.

As an aside, since taking the Iodoral, I have noticed the following: Increased mental clarity (no more brain fog, or dragging myself out of bed every dang day), almost no joint & muscle pain...this from someone who was on 75 mg diclofenac twice a day, plus assorted doses of tramadol. The reddishness in my face is gone. It was like a mild case of rosacea? MY HANDS HAVE STOPPED SHAKING, which they have done since my earliest memory. They are called essential tremors, and are common in my family. GONE. No more constipation for weeks, then days of diarrhea. No more nausea upon waking. Moods are steadier. There are a lot of effects, but these are the highlights.

ASH

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN