Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Debate question: 1/24

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:51 AM
  • 30 Replies
  • 359 Total Views

Being moms and some of us having boys(even some girls play) we know that our boys (and girls) will most likely play sports. WE are aware of any dangers (and pray that nothing happens to our child) and aware that it could happen to our child.

Should any parent (family) of any athlete be able to sue the sports franchise if something happens to the sports figure?

Most know that Junior Seau because he was a loved sports figure in many homes that watched football. He committed suicide and now his family wants to sue the NFL claiming that a brain injury caused him to commit this act. Many are (or trying to) sue the NFL for brain injuries such as concussion because they are hit in the head during a play and some have to leave the game due to a hard hit.

Should they win or is this part of playing the game and they know what could happen when they sign up?

** This is not a post to bash or cause drama.. Its opinion ONLY!!

Join the fun at 40ish and beyond ~~ www.cafemom.com/group/7446

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gbcmom
by Bronze sister on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:26 AM
No, they should not be able to sue. As with any career choice with possible dangers. People are too quick to place blame on someone else for their own choices. Since my career is now a sahm, can I sue Lego next time I step on one and the sharp corner slices my foot wide open?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lucky2Beeme
by Group Admin on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I think with the football players families want to sue because they were cleared to play. These players were told to get their asses out on the field after head injuries. I believe this is a huge problem. My son played football in college and HS. If you get a concussion you sit out, you don't get right back in. You may sit out weeks before being allowed back in. I think the Pros should adopt this theory if they haven't as of yet.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Quoting gbcmom:

No, they should not be able to sue. As with any career choice with possible dangers. People are too quick to place blame on someone else for their own choices. Since my career is now a sahm, can I sue Lego next time I step on one and the sharp corner slices my foot wide open?

I agree its a career choice and when my sons played football I knew if they got hit or hurt then it was my responsibility as their parent to make sure they healed before they played again.

DebW629
by Sister on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:51 AM

I think it's crazy!  Both my son and daughter have played organized sports since they were 3and 4 years old.  It is ridiculous that I as a parent would sign up and pay for my child to play a sport...knowing the inherent dangers...and then think I could sue someone if they got hurt.  That would be like suing McDonalds if I ate there every day and gained an unhealthy amount of weight.  We need to take accountability for the decisions we make in life.  Just my humble opinion. :-)

Deb W. ~ Happily married for more than 17 years with two beautiful children, a 15 year old girl and a 13 year old boy. Truly blessed and loving life. 

One of my great blessings is helping others look better and feel better about themselves. www.dlwhite.arealbreaktrough.com. 

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

I think with the football players families want to sue because they were cleared to play. These players were told to get their asses out on the field after head injuries. I believe this is a huge problem. My son played football in college and HS. If you get a concussion you sit out, you don't get right back in. You may sit out weeks before being allowed back in. I think the Pros should adopt this theory if they haven't as of yet.

If these player are cleared to play then they have no case. I have twins who played some sports and as the parent I made sure my son was 100% clear to play after he had breast removal and it wouldnt effect him.

It is a hugh problem in pro games but again they know it can happen and as adults they have voices and need to speak up if they still are not sure if they ae ready.

cjcharlie1959
by Dungeon Queen on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:54 AM

No, it's a occupational hazard.  That is why they get paid the big bucks and if they are wise will invest it so when they can no longer play they can do something else.  That is why they also went to college on a SCHOLARSHIP. Not to just play ball but to get an EDUCATION so when they can't play they can do something else.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Quoting DebW629:

I think it's crazy!  Both my son and daughter have played organized sports since they were 3and 4 years old.  It is ridiculous that I as a parent would sign up and pay for my child to play a sport...knowing the inherent dangers...and then think I could sue someone if they got hurt.  That would be like suing McDonalds if I ate there every day and gained an unhealthy amount of weight.  We need to take accountability for the decisions we make in life.  Just my humble opinion. :-)

I agree and you are right when I sign on the dotted line and knew the dangers.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Quoting cjcharlie1959:

No, it's a occupational hazard.  That is why they get paid the big bucks and if they are wise will invest it so when they can no longer play they can do something else.  That is why they also went to college on a SCHOLARSHIP. Not to just play ball but to get an EDUCATION so when they can't play they can do something else.

I agree they need to place some money a side for the just in case..

lucky2Beeme
by Group Admin on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Quoting dana63:

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

If these player are cleared to play then they have no case. I have twins who played some sports and as the parent I made sure my son was 100% clear to play after he had breast removal and it wouldnt effect him.

It is a hugh problem in pro games but again they know it can happen and as adults they have voices and need to speak up if they still are not sure if they ae ready.

I agree with you but that isn't how it works sadly. The team Dr should never be clearing them to play so soon. If the Drs say you're good to go then you go. Many of these concussion findings about how harmful they are, are fairly new.

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:40 AM
No, sick of mass suing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN