Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

How do you let go, when they are old enough to drive.  To let go and let them get their license and let them drive without you there with them.  One of my sons former classmates was killed in a motorcycle accident this afternoon.  He was 19 years old, it was his fault he pulled out in front of an SUV on a beautiful day.  I am sooo scared to let him drive alone, to drive at all for that matter. 

I know I have to believe that my dh and I taught him the rules of the road, to be careful, to trust that we taught him everything he needs to know.  I have to trust that the DL office people know what they are doing and not going to just give someone a license if they didn't pass or not fudge a score because they know someone.  

3 times in the last week I have been stopped at a stop sign waiting to make a right turn from a side street and 3 times I have had stupid teenage girls cut to my left into the oncoming traffic lane, impatient with me for waiting for it to clear.  How in the hell do they think they can make a left turn if I can't even make a right turn!!!! 

I am still scared to death to let go!!! 

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Replies (11-14):
Jebekarue
by Sister on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:33 AM

DS will be 17 next month, and he has been driving for over a year with his learners license, with us in the car.  We have not been able to take him to get his license due to $$ and only having one vehicle adding him on to the insurance was going to be astronomical.  We were able to get him a car over Christmas thanks to one of DH coworkers having a VERY old lincoln towncar and letting us make payments.  So as soon as our ins renews in March, he can get his license.

He is a very good driver, very defensive, I know in my heart he is more than ready.  I am just petrified!!!  I don't know how my parents did it 5 times!!  Of course we lived in a small town with just a few red lights, and it took 2 years before I was allowed to go out of town. 

Here we are in a town of over 50k and a bunch of wackos, things are so much different that it was for me 20+ years ago learning to drive.

Update:

So we took his girlfriend home tonight (which is a whoooole nother story) anyway on our way home we witnessed a head on collision.  Thankfully only one person was taken to the hospital as a precaution, everyone else was ok.  Ya, that just rejustified my fears :(  The kid that pulled out was only 17 or 18, the lady he hit was 28 with 2 carseats in the back (thankfully the kids were not in the car)  I am still shaking.  I looked at my son and said they were very lucky it could have been a lot worse.  Both cars were totalled.  Jeep Grand Cherokee and a Ford Crown Vic.  When we jumped out of the car I expected to see blood and massive injuries.  they were sooo lucky!!!!

TableforSeven
by Silver sister on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I could not wait for my oldest to get her license!  She needed a certain number of hours over a six month period before she could go for her test.  She got way more hours behind the wheel before the six months were up so I knew she was more than ready...and we took her driving through heavy rain storms, a blizzard, and tons of night driving (even on back roads) so we knew she was prepared.  She got her license in the morning and that day I had her out running errands for me and taking siblings places that day....I was thrilled.

Jebekarue
by Sister on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:59 PM

LOL, ya him running errands for me is one thing I can't wait for.  He is a really good driver, its everyone else I am worried about. 

I just can't get over this dread in the pit of my stomach and I can't figure out if its because my baby is growing up or what.  Everytime I say he is almost 17 I just shake my head and wonder where the time went. 

I know he is ready, but I am not :(

Quoting TableforSeven:

I could not wait for my oldest to get her license!  She needed a certain number of hours over a six month period before she could go for her test.  She got way more hours behind the wheel before the six months were up so I knew she was more than ready...and we took her driving through heavy rain storms, a blizzard, and tons of night driving (even on back roads) so we knew she was prepared.  She got her license in the morning and that day I had her out running errands for me and taking siblings places that day....I was thrilled.

Alwaysmotivated
by Loving Life on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I literally just had my heart in my hand teaching my seventeen year old driving.. Whew, until tomorrow.. He did good, I think its my insecurity.. We just have to learn to let go and trust that they will do the right thing, not easy but just life..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN