Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Weekend Debate Question: 1/26-27

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:13 AM
  • 23 Replies
  • 339 Total Views

I was just reading where two men were suing Lance Armstrong and his publisher company for the book he written because they feel since his recent admission to using drugs to enhance his performance. Lance Armstrong went on Oprah and admitted to her that he did this act and lied about it.

These men feel that the book was a lie and if they knew that Lance Armstrong had lied they would have never bought the book.

Do you think they should win more money over the value of the book?

Join the fun at 40ish and beyond ~~ www.cafemom.com/group/7446

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RubyQ
by Gold sister on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Ouch. That's an interesting question! Kinda like people who buy tickets for someone to sing and then find out maybe all or half of the performance was lip-synched. 

I don't know what the book says--exactly--so I don't have a firm opinion.

RubyQ
by Gold sister on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:53 AM
2 moms liked this

Wait--can you win a suit about someone not being perfect? Sounds like a slippery slope. For instance, what if an actor or singer is later found to have used recreational drugs? Would everyone be able to sue them later, with the same reasoning as these guys, after they had seen an actor's movie, or gone to a singer's concerts ?

maryg38
by Sweet Mary <3 on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Looks like 2 guys are looking for easy money
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CharlotteRose
by Bronze sister on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this

THIS 

Quoting maryg38:

coolmommy2x
by Silver sister on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:06 AM
2 moms liked this
I agree! If they feel they are entitled to something, maybe a refund but that's it. Of coursr if they had gotten the book from their local library, they wouldn't be out any money.

Quoting maryg38:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gaylelynne
by Sister on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I understand the reasoning behind their suit, but at the same time, come on, guys!  How much was the book??  It couldn't have been more than $30.  They're willing to give thousands to a lawyer over $30?  I realize if they win millions from Lance Armstrong then that's not much of an issue but isn't Lance already being sued for millions by other entities?  I just think these guys see an opportunity to get rich and are kicking a person who's already down.  

maryg38
by Sweet Mary <3 on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Maybe we should tell them that, lol

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I agree! If they feel they are entitled to something, maybe a refund but that's it. Of coursr if they had gotten the book from their local library, they wouldn't be out any money.

Quoting maryg38:

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I agree that they should get their money back for the book but I dont think they should get anymore than that. I agree that spending more money for a lawyer is stupid all for $30 (maybe less) because they feel like they were lied to and maybe they were but at that second that Lance wrote the book he wasnt being honest with himself so how could he be totally honest with his fans? In his mind he was Lance Armstrong 7 time winner without guilt.

maryg38
by Sweet Mary <3 on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this
I wonder if I could get my money back for bad movies... Nah, I think I will live with spending the money.

Quoting RubyQ:

Wait--can you win a suit about someone not being perfect? Sounds like a slippery slope. For instance, what if an actor or singer is later found to have used recreational drugs? Would everyone be able to sue them later, with the same reasoning as these guys, after they had seen an actor's movie, or gone to a singer's concerts ?

gonecrazi
by Lucky :) on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope, they should only get the value of the book. The only person Lance Armstrong truely hurt with his lies was himself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)