Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Debate question: 1/28

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:11 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 254 Total Views
1 mom liked this

I saw a post on FB and thought it was a good question..

The post was about seeing these commercials with these skinny woman who are doing diet (and exercise) commercials. The post said that it would be more realistic if there was an larger size or fluffy size man or woman instead of these skinny people. It went on to say that diet companies should gear towards the larger size that maybe the obesity population would decrease.

Thoughts?

Join the fun at 40ish and beyond ~~ www.cafemom.com/group/7446

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maryg38
by Sweet Mary <3 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:17 PM
Hmmmm, very good point. Why not use someone that is struggling instead of the now skinny person.
See their progress on their journey... So they can be encouraged!!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RubyQ
by Gold sister on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this

confused  Say what? People are overweight for reasons that have nothing to do with whether there are dieting commercials or not.

Do you mean maybe more people would take advantage of the dieting stuff advertised? If that is it then the answer is still no--it wouldn't lead to decreased obesity. Because the reasons for obesity are so many, and usually emotional, changing the people shown in these commercials would only possibly guarantee more sales of whatever it is they're selling--not actual sustained weight-loss. More often than not, these quick fixes lead to more weight gain , anyway. 

starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:27 PM

that's why i like the jenny craig ones that showed Valerie B.  they showed her progress.  i don't use the stuff or any of it really.

coolmommy2x
by Silver sister on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:27 PM
I don't think it will decrease the obesity program. A person has to WANT to lose weight/be healthy. Everyone knows to cut calories and exercise. It shouldn't matter if the person in the ad is fluffy or thin though most show before and after pictures.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Quoting RubyQ:

confused  Say what? People are overweight for reasons that have nothing to do with whether there are dieting commercials or not.

Do you mean maybe more people would take advantage of the dieting stuff advertised? If that is it then the answer is still no--it wouldn't lead to decreased obesity. Because the reasons for obesity are so many, and usually emotional, changing the people shown in these commercials would only possibly guarantee more sales of whatever it is they're selling--not actual sustained weight-loss. More often than not, these quick fixes lead to more weight gain , anyway. 

No that more people would be more likely to want to lose weight if they see the progress of a person overweigh instead of a person who most likely never had an ounce of extra pounds on them.

I know there are reasons why some people are overweight. I personally look at these commercials and wouldnt want to use the product because I would rather see a overweights person progress because the results would be more believeable..

Join the fun at 40ish and beyond ~~ www.cafemom.com/group/7446

25beengoodtome
by Crazy LiL' Sister on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I would  think an advertisement showing a person at their maximim weight, then after the loss of 40 or more pounds; not at 110 pounds! We are all not genetically built to be "pencil thin" with "abs of steel".Personally, I'd be glad to fit into a size 8/10

~

witch_e_woman
by The Witch of 40ish on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:51 PM

It is rediculous to use skinny ppl to promote any "diet" plan. This is why we don't watch commercials anymore, we flip to another station when they come on.

mrgetinold
by Gold sister on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:55 PM
In my crazy mind its right up there with them women all in white that do the female monthly products as they smile, not cramping orhaving a zit or anything! I thought ads were supposed to reach their target audience! Cant figure it out! Duh
2pink
by Sister on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:48 PM

There should be a healthy blend of folks, ok, about half n half, that are overweight and thin.  That is if they want to reach the target market.  I have a cupboard full of dieting products.  There's no miracle cure..being healthy is so much more than body weight.  Certianly exercise is key, and that is just what I need to do regularly.  Having a celebrity selling the product does work, no I haven't tried Jenny Craig.  Seriously, like another said in commenting, when I see the ads on TV and they are all thin, I turn the channel.  And exercise clothes should not be skin tight!  Ugh! 2pink

SeanandNoahsmom
by Manning Fan on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I agree and, if young people see skinny people dieting, they may think their own healthy weight bodies are too fat. They may feel that they need an exercise / diet regime themselves, which can lead to eating disorders, especially young females. Tragic :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)