Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Have you read 50 shades of gray and do you think it did your life any good.  Maybe I misunderstand what women are saying it's about but, what do you think?  I love to read but have never read "romance" and don't want to buy it if that's all it is.

How2Be

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Replies (11-15):
MentorMom1
by Gold sister on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:50 PM

I haven't read it. Mostly because women whose opinions I trust on the subject of writing said it wasn't well-written. I think people buy it for the "sex.'

I can recommend Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt, a first novel by Beth Hoffman. You'll laugh out loud and cry your eyes out. Other moms in 40ish read it and loved it. (Beware of spoilers in the Amazon reviews.)

I can also solidly recommend Four Letters of Love, by Niall Williams. He's Irish, and I'm not exaggerating when I say he's one of the best authors I've ever read. Also by Williams, an epic tale of a family strewn in all directions, and how they come back together: The Fall of Light.

And Memoir - if you like memoir: The Boy Kings of Texas, by Domingo Martinez. It's part coming of age, part confessional, part field study. It's about his life growing up "almost a Mexican" in Brownsville, TX. I heard him read a chapter from the book on This American Life, the program about middle school. Check it out online. The part Martinez read is called "Mimis in the Middle," (in the book it's just The Mimis, about his two older sisters and how they create this complete fantasy that they're upper-class white chics.) It's great.  Anyway, thought I'd give you some ideas, if you were looking for something to read!

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:51 PM

I have read it (and yes it was out of the norm for me) and I loved it! After you get past the "abuse" the love story begins and it really is good. There is three books in the series and I read them 2 times now..

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:53 PM

I read the first 2 books and couldn't force myself to the 3rd. I thought the writing was terrible. I was hoping it would get better as I got through the books but it wasn't. I don't normally read romance books and I have read much better erotica books than this one.

sahlady
by It's a jen.thing :) on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:54 PM

never read it.  my 17 yr old daughter (avid avid avid reader) said it was horrible writing, terrible story line, and she was of the opinion that it was only popular because there must be a ton of sex starved older women out there.

she hated it.

if you are looking for a recomendation try Firefly Lane... per my avid reader.

cuteoverload
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:07 PM

No Sorry

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN