Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Debate question of the day: 1/29

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:55 AM
  • 14 Replies
  • 185 Total Views

Morning!

Before I post this question I want to say this is NO bash on the gay community at all so please DO NOT use this post as such as we have many loved sisters who are gay and/ or have family and friends who are gay.

I was watching where the Boy Scout is rethinking about the ban on gay scout leader and allowing a openly gay individual to serve as a leader. Some are saying its about time as this means that BSA is coming with the times and you have those who are saying that it will open the door for sexual predators.

Do you think theu should lift their ban?

Join the fun at 40ish and beyond ~~ www.cafemom.com/group/7446

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cuteoverload
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:59 AM

personally what they do in their private life is between them and their maker.  It should be the role of the best person qualified.

RubyQ
by Gold sister on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:42 AM

UM....HELLO? Since when are sexual predators exclusive to the gay community? If you look at the history of the Scouts now, there is a vast documentation of sexual predators that have already been in the organization--and who led previously 'heterosexual' lives. 

sahlady
by It's a jen.thing :) on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:29 AM
My thoughts exactly.

Quoting RubyQ:

UM....HELLO? Since when are sexual predators exclusive to the gay community? If you look at the history of the Scouts now, there is a vast documentation of sexual predators that have already been in the organization--and who led previously 'heterosexual' lives. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Quoting RubyQ:

I am just saying what the news reported.. I dont believe that part of the report and think it was said by those who might think it.

There are many who prey their victims through some organizations such as the scouts/ coaching and they were not gay. My boys were never in the scouts but we knew a boy that was and he changed from being very outgoing to wanting to be alone. But I think that no matter what organization someone will be against it. WE had a coach that was well known and great with the kids and a child turned him in for sexual acts and it turned out he was found guilty of many counts through out the years. His own wife didnt know this was going on.

Join the fun at 40ish and beyond ~~ www.cafemom.com/group/7446

GoddessJohnnie
by Goddess Johnnie on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:00 AM

You know I'm totally in support of equality for everything.  I think it's about time that they caught up to modern society and let gay/transgender individuals be scouts and leaders.  

Being gay is only a part of who a person is, not the whole deciding factor of character - and the BSA are supposed to be about building character.

Denisethedaring
by Sister on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Well yeah.  No-brainer.  I saw that article and thought that now that the military's lifted the ban, the Boy Scouts are gonna have a heck of a time justifying it internally anymore, aren't they? :)  Apparently they've come to the same realization. 

coolmommy2x
by Silver sister on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:27 AM
I think the ban is stupid...especially since it came to light that they have been hiding years of sexual abuse. Clearly the ban wasn't effective in keeping predators out.

I also wish they'd come to this realization before losing sponsors. Seems to me this is motivated by $$ and not because it's the right thing to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gonecrazi
by Lucky :) on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Yes, I think it is about time they caught up with the rest of us.

RubyQ
by Gold sister on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Quoting dana63:

Quoting RubyQ:

I am just saying what the news reported.. I dont believe that part of the report and think it was said by those who might think it.

There are many who prey their victims through some organizations such as the scouts/ coaching and they were not gay. My boys were never in the scouts but we knew a boy that was and he changed from being very outgoing to wanting to be alone. But I think that no matter what organization someone will be against it. WE had a coach that was well known and great with the kids and a child turned him in for sexual acts and it turned out he was found guilty of many counts through out the years. His own wife didnt know this was going on.

Lol, yes, I know that wasn't your opinion--I was just addressing the ridiculousness of the theory posted--whoever the anonymous person was that posed that question in the article. It's logic is crazy--so they want to use the excuse that 'gays will be predators' (in order to exclude them) , as opposed to.....what? leaving the door open for the (so called heterosexual) predators already within the organization? Defies logic.

RubyQ
by Gold sister on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Something I heard on the news last night put it well.

They said, "the ban is only teaching scouts to practice discrimination--something that goes against the Scouts' fundamental teachings."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)