• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This flu is really bad!!

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:55 AM
  • 14 Replies
  • 362 Total Views

I have talk to many who has/had this strain of flu(s) (there is many right now) and just heard on the news that a person who has the flu can infect a person 6 ft away from them. I have taken precaution like I know most of you have. If I cough or sneeze I will do it in my elbow and not in my hands (this way I don't pass my germs) and I sanitize my hands afterwards. I take a multi vitamin and try to keep my immune system up and yes I stay away from any who is sick.

How are you trying to beat this flu?

BTW: most of these new flu's are immune to the flu shot so those who have taken it could have another strain of the flu.

Stay healthy!!

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starsis68
by Sister on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:06 AM
1 mom liked this
I. Have a sines virus I been takeing vitamins but itdid not help I work in a school were every. Thing is going a round my sister. Is a nurse she told me to take calsem pills someone else dated a Docter told her to use listerine. 2times a day
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jcothrine
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:12 AM

i had the flu for two whole weeks.. body aches.. congestion..cough..... was miserable.. my head felt like it would explode!

JC

lbzmom
by Support Team Sister on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Feel better soon! hugs!!!

Quoting Jcothrine:

i had the flu for two whole weeks.. body aches.. congestion..cough..... was miserable.. my head felt like it would explode!

JC

lbzmom
by Support Team Sister on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:42 AM

In our house, we use paper towel instead of towels in the bathroom.  I have been doing this for years now, It helps stop the spread of colds and flu.

Zinc tablets, I take the zinc tablets, for me, they tend to keep the cold/flu just in check, not letting it get to full sickness capacity.  

Gargle with salt water, I even drink a bit of salt water (not heavily salted) 

Lots of Hot beverages, the clearer the better and as hot as you can tolerate.

Lastly, this one might freak a few people out, but when you know you are getting sick and before you let it turn into the full blown out flu, eat crushed garlic cloves!! Use Fresh garlic, not the jarred processed stuff. The way I use them is mixed into a can of tuna fish.  Put your tuna fish in a bowl, add crushed fresh garlic - one or two large cloves. You can add mayo or eat like plain.  I eat it real fast followed by a glass of water to help wash it down.  NOTE, you will smell like garlic for a few days after eating this, but it does work!!

There is talk lately of Honey and cinnamon. One teaspoon of honey together with 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon.  I don't recall  how many times a day to take it, but if you Google it, there is all kinds of information on it.

Stay well...

starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:45 AM

staying home and keeping clean hands...so far so good..just allergies here...

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:04 AM
No flu here. Dh got the shot. I didn't. The shot is 60% effective for strains this season. Better than zero percent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BL2010
by BL on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Like you, I cough/sneeze into my arm and have always done that. Wash my hands constantly. Actually, I do that all the time not just in the winter. I don't take any kind of vitamins and I just try to stay away from people that are sick. Because of the kidney transplant I have to do that anyway.

If family members are sick they know not to come and visit me or I don't visit them.

gonecrazi
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:32 AM

A lot of hand washing, hand sanitizer, and I got a flu shot.

Why123
by Nancy on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I haven't gotten the flu but I did get bronchitis.  I had a shot.  My daughter and her family all got the flu.  She says that next year they will get the shot because she doesn't want to go through that again.

looneymom424
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:59 AM

They make me take the flu shot every year I even got the pnemonia shot so I havent gotten sick this year...I usually get pnemonia every year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)