Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Debate question: 1/31

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:06 AM
  • 21 Replies
  • 398 Total Views
1 mom liked this

When my children were growing up we never allowed them to play with toy guns. They are adults and they don't have any desires to have any type of guns and none of my grandchildren play with them either. Not saying that toy guns lead to wanting the real thing it is just our families personal choice.

I saw an article that stated that toy guns should be taken off the shelves and not sold. Some toy guns look realistic and yes some have mistaken a toy gun for the real thing and the person was shot because of the realistic look.

If a toy company wants to sell toy guns should they change the realistic look to make it look more like a toy, or leave the toys as they are?

Thoughts??

** Please do not bash a sister on their thoughts or opinions about this subject!! Thanks!!

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:43 AM

We had TOY guns when we were little.. The toy comp. need to stop making them look real, go back to "toy" mode and some of the problems will be gone.

Taking them off the shelves is DUMB...band-aiding the situation and not confronting the real problems..

Just this weekend I saw 3 little kids playing cops/robbers like when I was little..2 had little silver western guns like when I was little...they all looked so cute playing outside and using their imagination!!

BL2010
by BL on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:04 AM

We had toy guns growing up. The toy companies need to go back to making them actual toys and not looking like the real things.

gonecrazi
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:34 AM

My boys have played with toy guns. I think they could make them bright colors, or figure out some way to make them less realistic.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:00 AM
Banning toy guns is stupid. It as nothing to do with the issue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cuteoverload
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Each parent should show responsibility for their choices. 

wildlilacs
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:19 AM
I agree w making toy guns less realistic, brighter colors.Then again some kids will paint them black anyway.
Parents shpuld always talk w kids about pretend and real. Real guns really make a person dead. Make sure they understand.
I dont think playing w guns will make a kid violent. Kids need to learn how to handle anger instead of first thinking "Im gonna kill..."
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GoddessJohnnie
by Goddess Johnnie on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Yup, what she said!  lol

Quoting BL2010:

We had toy guns growing up. The toy companies need to go back to making them actual toys and not looking like the real things.

Goddess Johnnie 

mamakin616
by Sister on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I never allowed my kids to have toy guns and I never allowed them to play anything where they pretended to kill or hurt somebody. I think they should make them look like toys if they are going to sell them, and they should have to encourage safety on the package.....

madcat500
by Bronze sister on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:35 AM

change the look

Shopsha0911
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:36 AM

My kids had toy gun and they are now anti gun activists. So I don't think playing with guns leads to a problem. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)