Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

health question

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:27 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 144 Total Views

Has anyone ever had a nodule on your thyroid that needed to be biopsied?  I did years ago & the doctor told me unless it caused trouble with swallowing I didn't have to have any follow-up as it didn't show cancer cells. It's never caused me trouble with swallowing, breathing, etc. At that time they didn't have ultrasound to ck also & it makes it easier to know where to biopsy with ultrasound as to where to put the needle. It is liquid & also solid (guess he is concerned about the SOLID part) Well, I had to have a ct scan & ultra-sound & went in to the endocrinologist to have things evaluated as to what I should have done.  He recommended having another biopsy on the large one as it has grown & that can be a sign of cancer & also it has some calcification which is also a sign.  I read on line that only 5 % of nodules are cancerous & since I had it cked years ago & it was benign I feel maybe it is nothing to worry about but I'm still going in for the biopsy to make sure.  They found 3 more small ones so I have to keep a ck on them now too.  Has anyone had any or know anything about them & info? Why do some women get them?, etc

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MomsTaxiAndATM
by 40ish Angel on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I really dont know much about these at all but I do know my mil had one and it was removed without any problems what so ever!! Keep us posted and I am sending love and healing thoughts your way!

BL2010
by Just Me on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Sorry I don't know anything about this. These are really great questions that you should be asking the dr.  Make a list of them. When is your next appt?

Sending lots of positive thoughts to you.

cuteoverload
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Sorry I have never been through it, but it has to be scary.  Hugs and prayers to you and please update us. 

daisybelle1960
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:37 PM

I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 2006. I had the biopsy, but it came back inconclusive for either cancer or Hashimotos disease. I had surgery and it was cancer and there were new one forming on the other side, so the entire thyroid was removed. I also had Hashimotos disease. I then had radioactive iodine, to kill any remaining thyroid cells. I've had two clean scans and have to take thyroid replacement daily. This all sounds awful, but I'm doing well now. Let us know how you do!

cat4458
by Sister on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:08 AM

daisybelle1960, I'm so sorry they found cancer, but glad to hear they got it all & years later you are clear of cancer & doing fine.  This is what I am worried about after all these years even though the biopsy years ago didn't show cancer cells it has grown & the doctor said that is a sign & also calcification too is a sign.  He also said it could be just because it is so old.  I asked him what causes them.  He said it's like some people have skin tags, cysts, etc & there hasn't been a reason found.Were your thyroid tests abmormal?  Mine have always been & this time they took 2 & they were normal.  Wouldn't you think they be abnormal if cancer is present? I just hate this waiting till the biopsy (2 weeks), seems like they could have gotten me in sooner. 

Quoting daisybelle1960:

I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 2006. I had the biopsy, but it came back inconclusive for either cancer or Hashimotos disease. I had surgery and it was cancer and there were new one forming on the other side, so the entire thyroid was removed. I also had Hashimotos disease. I then had radioactive iodine, to kill any remaining thyroid cells. I've had two clean scans and have to take thyroid replacement daily. This all sounds awful, but I'm doing well now. Let us know how you do!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)