Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Debate question 2/3

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:10 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 134 Total Views

Each day we see a new report on a missing child, some come home as fast as they are missing and some God Bless them never make it home. I saw a article where a 13 year old was missing and they found her dead. I never saw a missing report on this little girl and thought there are a lot of missing children that they find dead that we never hear about. Why? This 13 year old was in Foster care, so does that mean her story is less important than one who wasn't?

Did you all know that the day Natalie Holloway came up missing another little girl came up missing and she only got a small piece of news coverage when they found her body? What made her story any different than Natalie's? Is it because Natalie was on Vacation in a another country? Is it race? What makes most stories get the most attention over others?

What are your thoughts on why some children get the full media's attention while others get a small corner of the paper?

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
SeanandNoahsmom
by Manning Fan on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:18 AM

That is, unfortunately, what I cannot understand either- I think it just depends on what the media feels will make the most sensational story. It is all about ratings and greed, and that is so sad for the children that are overlooked.

crazymom729
by Cajun Witch (dealer) on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:23 AM
I agree with Dawn, it's all about which child will make the better news story. And unfortunately for the children, the lower class you are the further down the totem pole you are for the media. They are about the almighty dollar!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:30 AM

I just feel it is sad that one child matters but another don't. I can't imagine how the family would feel seeing two cases the same and yet one get the most attention and the other gets less attention. 

I know the media cant cover every story but don't have two stories the same time and give one so much attention and the second one a little corner on the back page.

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Most of the time they get local coverage. We have local Amber alerts all the time. No need for nation wide coverage. Many are African American and get coverage in the area needed. Natalie Holloways was nation wide because it was in a foreign country and they had suspects from minute one who got away with her murder. Personally, Natalie was drunk and stupid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
looneymom424
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:19 AM

A few years ago we had Shawn Hornbeck that was kidnapped as a child and found as a teenager when another boy was taken...I am sure more children were taken then but the media focused on him.  I know that we have missing children in this area all the time they just dont tell you.  Especially if they are teens.  We had a 15 year old disappear suspected run away here never issued an amber alert.  It was in the next city over no media coverage at all because he was a run away...and not with a sex offender

witch_e_woman
by The Witch of 40ish on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Thats a good question... I doubt that we'll ever really know the reason why to it though...Sad, I know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)