Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When your children leave home

Posted by   + Show Post

If your child(ren) left home to move into an apartment or got married, did you let them take their bedroom set?

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Replies (21-29):
Lovemyshadows
by Bronze sister on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:41 PM

If they want it it's theirs as far as I'm concerned, I bought it for them.

1squishysmom
by Silver sister on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:29 PM

When our now 20yo moved, he took everything in his room. Bed, dressers, reclining sofa, TV, desk, PS3, sheets, everything. They are all his, so he was free to take everything he wanted.

finlyhappy65
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Unfortunately mine haven't gone yet LOL but yes, their bedrooms suites are their's to take with them.

SusanArlene
by Sister on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Okay, so it sounds like most of you have let your kids take their bedroom sets. My oldest sister did not and she now uses the same bedroom sets for the grandkids when they come to stay. I do not know why she did not let her kids take them whnen they left.

The other challenge I have is that some of the items belonged to my husband (deceased). My oldest daughter glommed onto his dresser shortly after his death, as well as his class ring, which she wears around her neck. I am at a loss as to whether or not to let her take the dresser when she gets her own apartment.  I suppose I should. It's seen better days anyway since it was his from grade school on up until we were married. However, I have three other daughters who are going to want an item of his, too, such as his nightstand and dresser, which I am using now (a little bunged up from all our moves but they were his, so they hold sentimental value). But I'd like to get a whole new bedroom set for myself. Everything I have has been hand-me-downs, and I have sacrificed so many nice things over the years since his death that I am now wanting to focus on me for a change.

pamelax3
by Bronze sister on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:44 PM

My oldest did not want his

pasteeater
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:49 PM

He could if he wanted to.  I'm not going to need it.

terri-553
by Terri on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Some of mine left their stuff,still in storage.Will,be keeping it,The only one wants her stuff is the daugther of course.

model1000mom
by Sister on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:34 PM

When my now 21 yr old left she took everything she had in her bedroom, which was fine with us since we wanted to redecorate it for our 17 yr old daughter.

Dora-rulz
by Sister on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:39 PM
Sd started college this year. She took her tv & left bedroom set but it is hers when she gets her own place (she's in dorm now).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)