Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Flooring?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:11 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 208 Total Views

If you could update your home, what would you choose? Carpeting? Hardwood? Laminate? Ceramic tile? Combination? I have a mixture - carpeting in the living room, hallway and my office; different carpeting on the stairs and in the upstairs bedroom; original hardwood (in badly need of refinishing) in my bedroom; and newer laminate in the dining room. In my experience, dogs + carpeting do not mix (and I'm not exactly in the financial position to make changes, but...) if you could design your perfect home, what would you put on your floors? I think I want hardwood or engineered hardwood on the main floor, and either the same or carpeting in the upstairs, though my Boston Terrier is fond of eating and digging up carpet (she DESTROYED the entrance between my daughter's room and the upstairs hallway plus a throw rug), and my oldest daughter's dog indiscriminately poops in the house, though her favorite places are underneath my daughter's desk and in my office behind the treadmill. I'm thinking uniform wood flooring? I have a heated floor in my main bathroom, which I love, and my kitchen has linoleum tiles, though they're in excellent condition. I think I'd leave those alone.

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dora-rulz
by Sister on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this
We live in TX do I do not like carpet. Plus I have 2 young kids & hardwood & tile are just easier to clean.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Melissa_4
by Sister on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this

We have hardwood (the original wide planks) throughout the old part of the house, tile in the kitchen, parquet in the master and the hallway, and only two rooms out of 11 have w2w carpet.  We have three Staffordshires, and the hardwood is the best.

We need to have our hardwood floors redone.  They are from 1968, and have never been refinished.  With the wear and tear from feet (4 kids, 3 dogs), you can see a light path from door to stairs.  When we have them done (hopefully this summer!), I am keeping the dark stain on them, but I want a glossier finish.  I love when our floor is freshly washed and you can see the red tones in the dark wood!

firelites
by Anne on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:24 PM

we have carpeting and ceramic tiles

mom22tumblebugs
by Silver sister on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:36 PM
2 moms liked this

FYI- they now make tile that looks like hardwood.

bhow
by Silver sister on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:17 PM

We recently remolded a building and put this new tile in and it is amazing!  I chose the old barn wood look and WOW!!

How2Be

manamott
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I HATE  HATE mopping and sweeping. Although carpet gets so nasty with dogs and kids...but I hate mopping so much lol

mrgetinold
by Gold sister on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I have the original 1960s hardwood on all but my kitchen i had movie plave carpet ( think loud and multi colored,yuck) it got torn out when my dh went hunting one year (lol) i d love to have the hardwood refurnished! And have a kinda match put in the kitchen ( right now i have, please dont laugh sheets of dark wall stuff on my floor) id like to get some nice throw rugs! Happy decorating!
crazymom729
by Cajun Witch (dealer) on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I currently have tile in my entire home...sometimes I wish I had hardwood especially now that the kids are older.

BL2010
by Just Me on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd get new carpet in the bedrooms and hardwood floors everywhere else.

1squishysmom
by Silver sister on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Carpet. Hardwood and tile make rooms look very cold to me. Carpet looks cozy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)