Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Husband's 50th - Help! (PIOG)

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:45 AM
  • 13 Replies
  • 227 Total Views
1 mom liked this

Hi ladies!  I posted this over in Love & Marriage but since everyone here is "of a certain age" (cough, cough) you've probably had to think about this already ;-) and can share some ideas (I hope!).

I'm looking for some fun ideas for celebrating my husband's 50th birthday next month (I can't believe I'm old enough to have a 50-year-old husband LOL).

I'm going to tell you a few things about him in case that helps.  I'm looking for clever gifts, or fun ways to commemorate the day.

First thing you should probably know is that he doesn't actually care about milestone birthdays.  He thinks it's silly to make a big deal out of them.  BUT, we also have 4 kids who DO think it's a big deal (and he has a wife who's very into milestones LOL).

Next thing you should know is that he'd rather be with his family than anyone else.  He has only a couple really good friends, and then maybe 5 people beyond that that he enjoys spending time with.

Also, his dad's 80th birthday is 2 days earlier and the family is already having a catered party for that - so another big party seems silly (and really isn't something my husband would enjoy anyway.)

I'm thinking he'd enjoy a nice dinner out - with the kids.  But I just don't know if that's special enough.

The kids thought it might be fun to give him 50 presents.  Maybe 50 presents, coupled with a dinner out would make it feel more special.

What do you think?

And if we do 50 presents...what should they be?  LOL  We're on a very limited budget AND I'm not crafty at all - so they'd have to primarily be things I can buy - but aren't too pricey - with maybe a couple "big" gifts at the end (the kids could make things too if you have cute ideas for that). 

I was thinking a getaway would be a nice gift.  We haven't spent a night alone in 14 years.  But he also likes going away as a family - and we don't do it very often - so maybe a family weekend instead?  Or maybe both?  A couple's weekend AND a family weekend?  Ugh.  I don't know.

Here's some info about his likes, personality etc.

He loves sports - especially baseball

He loves Bruce Springsteen

He's a former actor and loves theater, music etc.

He's handy around the house

He LOVES to cook

He loves good wine

He puts thought into his clothes but isn't "fussy" about it

He hates wallets and watches and robes (all things I tried to buy him early in our courtship because he didn't have them LOL)

What else would help you to help me get creative?

Sorry this is so long but I figure, the more info you have, the better :-)

Thank you!!!!

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I like the 50 present idea and it should be small little gifts and I would hide them around the house (his favorite places) . I would also do a 50's theme for his birthday.

coolmommy2x
by Silver sister on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this
My DH turned 50 last year, fortunately on his day off AND during the kids' spring break. We went to 2 historic local museums that we had never been to despite living near them for 18 years. We had dinner at a hibachi restaurant (we love those places). He just wanted something low key with just our family and we had a great time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bleacheddecay
by Gold Sister -lp on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:50 PM

My husband and I are both 52. We didn't do anything special when we turned 50, nor did we want to. We did go out to eat, give a card and small gift.

jett286
by BrewMisstress on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you like to cook?  Or have a friend who is a good cook?  I would do a special dinner that matched each course with a different wine.  There are several ways to match food/wine if you need assistance with that.  Websites and/or an app for your phone.  That's what I use Hello Vino ~ you can type in either a food and it will give you wines to try or type in wine and it will pair it with food.  If your kids are not of age, they can have juice in wine glasses and make it a 'fancy' family dinner.  Or check for personal Chef's in your area who will come in and do all the cooking/serving/cleaning for you.  They are not all expensive.  Then you can have little gifts between courses...Just my thoughts....and if you want menu planning help pm me.  I am a personal chef/caterer and LOVE this type of stuff!  

Jeanette

"Love is a fabric that never fades, no matter how often it is washed in the waters of adversity and grief". -- Anon.
sahlady
by It's a jen.thing :) on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this

where do you live and where did he grow up?

The first thing that came to mind when you were describing him was a "trip" down memory lane.  You could have him get up in the morning and tell him to get ready, and have an over night bag already packed.  Take him in a limo (if feasible) and take him out to breakfast at a meaningful place and perhaps have some friends there, then to an activity or just a drive narrated by one of the kids, funny with poignant places.  You can have people set up to reenact parts of his life in certain places, friends or family to do a skit some place to show some important event in his life.  Maybe just the family for lunch or another group of friends.  Do this all day and end up some place fun for dinner with a couple dear friends and roast him.  Then spend the night out and send the kids home.

Or kidnap him... litterally.  Have him run an errand for you and have a buddy grab him, blindfold him, and take him to the airport.  You and the kids meet him there and take off for the weekend.

1Trixie
by Mary's Shadow on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh dear I need some time to think on this one. I do like your 50 gift idea, keeping them rather cheap and the last few being more expensive.

A sign in your front yard I am assuming what not go over well? lol

Saying ____ is fifty isn't that Nifty. Then put 50 balloons on the sign =)

Hudson_Heights
by New sister on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:08 PM

You guys are all so clever!  I love it :-)

Hudson_Heights
by New sister on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this

He would probably hate that - which somehow makes it hilarious to me (but I have to keep remembering it's not about me LOL)

Quoting 1Trixie:

Oh dear I need some time to think on this one. I do like your 50 gift idea, keeping them rather cheap and the last few being more expensive.

A sign in your front yard I am assuming what not go over well? lol

Saying ____ is fifty isn't that Nifty. Then put 50 balloons on the sign =)

Hudson_Heights
by New sister on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:10 PM

His family used to do "skits" for big events all the time - back before they all started having kids and got super busy.  I bet they'd love to do one again.  I should enlist their help!

Quoting sahlady:

The first thing that came to mind when you were describing him was a "trip" down memory lane.  You could have him get up in the morning and tell him to get ready, and have an over night bag already packed.  Take him in a limo (if feasible) and take him out to breakfast at a meaningful place and perhaps have some friends there, then to an activity or just a drive narrated by one of the kids, funny with poignant places.  You can have people set up to reenact parts of his life in certain places, friends or family to do a skit some place to show some important event in his life.  Maybe just the family for lunch or another group of friends.  Do this all day and end up some place fun for dinner with a couple dear friends and roast him.  Then spend the night out and send the kids home.

Or kidnap him... litterally.  Have him run an errand for you and have a buddy grab him, blindfold him, and take him to the airport.  You and the kids meet him there and take off for the weekend.

sahlady
by It's a jen.thing :) on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:25 PM
I am so excited to hear how this turns out!!!!!

Quoting Hudson_Heights:

His family used to do "skits" for big events all the time - back before they all started having kids and got super busy.  I bet they'd love to do one again.  I should enlist their help!

Quoting sahlady:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)