Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

I was called "grandma" today

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:32 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 379 Total Views

I was at the store with my 17 yr old daughter and my 11 week old son and an older lady said "Your grandson is adorable, Grandma" I almost broke down into tears. I dont look that old in my head but I guess society assumes that because I have a 17 yr old daughter that the baby was hers. =( Blah!

I corrected her and she gave me the stink eye. LOL

Do you look older than you feel?

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:52 PM

no not yet but I feel the day coming on lol.. hugs

crazymom729
by Cajun Witch (dealer) on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Oh no...I feel that I look my age.  But I am called mawmaw because I am one...at 45.

ashleighmama
by Ash on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:43 PM
I think I FEEL way older than I LOOK.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
looneymom424
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:30 PM

I am starting to look really old

RoseWall
by RoseWall on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:06 AM

hugs

JodyLane555
by Sister on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:42 PM

That's ok my dh took 6yo dd to pediatrician once and she said "So your the grandpa?" he still wont forgive her! And he doesnt have gray hair or anything, he's 56 but I think he could easily pass for maybe 45!

Brooklynchic
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I hope not lol

cuteoverload
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this

please try not to get so upset by it. After all, strictly speaking we are old enough to be our children's grandparents, and we live in a world where a lot of teenagers have babies so it's an understandable mistake for people to make. Your son is old enough now to pick up on how you respond to what people say, and if he sees it upsets you it will come to upset him too and he will think that having an older mum is something to be ashamed of. At least when your kids are around try to laugh it off and remind them of all the benefits of having an older mum, like you being more patient than you would have been when younger (at least in my case), and having more time and experience to share with them. Children can be really mean to anyone who is seen as being different, so you need to help yours to develop the resilience to deal with that and some answers to give to the other children. All the best.

my2sweetjoys
by Kay on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:26 PM

I get that alot because my daughter looks to be her little brother's mom.My kids are 14 yrs apart and they think I am his grandma when I pick him up from pre k.I am the oldest mom in the class.I am sorry that it happened to you and yes, you will bet this a lot.Congrats on the new baby, I love seeing babies in the store 

MandMsWorld
by Sister on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:49 PM

When we were jr. in H.S. my BFF's Mom had a baby - he was born in March, so for their Christmas cards they took a sideview picture of the 2 of them her Mom obviously very pg, and her at 5'6" and 110.

She hated it too - she'd take her little brother somewhere and heard people say "what a shame she had a baby so early"....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)