Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Paleo Diet

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:13 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 235 Total Views

Anyone ever heard of this diet? Did some homework looks pretty easy. Just wanted to know if anyone ever used it.

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
manilowgal
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:56 PM
Crossfit atheletes use it. many of my friends use it as well abdomen swear by it. I know you don't get hungry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Brooklynchic
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:35 PM

No what's it about??

Bleacheddecay
by Gold Sister -lp on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Its based on the idea that cavemen ate mostly meat, nuts and veggies. It's also based on the idea that most people mostly want to eat meat.

I've been veggie all my life. It doesn't interest me although the cynical marketing of the idea does. 

Not only did cavemen eat far less meat than these "experts" suppose, when they did, it was lean, wild meat, and mostly small things like rabbits. Whatever they could find gathering or killing they binged ate because they were always hungry. Not exactly a healthy diet model. Nowadays when you get meat it's not lean, and wild, unless you actually hunt game, it's factory, farmed, fatty meat.

Very few fad diets are actually healthy. Rarely do people stay on such diets. So the short term losses, if any are almost always regained and then some. Our country's norm is yo yo dieting which isn't healthy at all.

BL2010
by BL on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:19 PM

I've never heard of it.

crazymom729
by Cajun Witch (dealer) on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Never heard of it either.

starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:50 PM

heard of it but don't know much about it.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:27 AM

I've read a few articles about it and borrowed a couple of books from the library about the diet but have not actually tried the diet itself.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Its based on the idea that cavemen ate mostly meat, nuts and veggies. It's also based on the idea that most people mostly want to eat meat.

I've been veggie all my life. It doesn't interest me although the cynical marketing of the idea does. 

Not only did cavemen eat far less meat than these "experts" suppose, when they did, it was lean, wild meat, and mostly small things like rabbits. Whatever they could find gathering or killing they binged ate because they were always hungry. Not exactly a healthy diet model. Nowadays when you get meat it's not lean, and wild, unless you actually hunt game, it's factory, farmed, fatty meat.

Very few fad diets are actually healthy. Rarely do people stay on such diets. So the short term losses, if any are almost always regained and then some. Our country's norm is yo yo dieting which isn't healthy at all.

I wouldn't try it either as red meat isnt all that good for you. Sounds like to me its eat more protein (which you can get without eating red meat). I agree with you that meat is more process and not as lean as it was back in the days of the cavemen. They didnt eat daily (if they did it wasnt always meat) and when they were able to hunt they had to share with the members of their tribe so what little they did get wasnt enough to help with the hunger. 

I also agree that very few fad diets work. The diet I use is portion control and drinking 8 oz of water before any meal.

finlyhappy65
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I wouldn't try it, look at what the life expectancy of a caveman was.....

Bookwormy
by Sister on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this
I could be wrong but I want to say that I'd only heard of the Paleo diet in connection with families with children suffering with terrible food allergies & food intolerances. I had no idea it was another fad diet to lose weight & be healthy. I thought it was for either food allergies or Celiac disease.

If you are trying to lose weight, I would recommend reducing portions & adding activity. If you need a formal diet to do so, as I do, I recommend Weight Watchers. So far I've lost over 53lb of the 100lb I need to lose.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)