Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Debate question: 2/11

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:52 AM
  • 34 Replies
  • 426 Total Views

I have talked to many woman (and men) and was told that their marriage was/has ending/ed (even those I thought was happy). I would ask why and they mostly had the same answer, social sites. They will say that their spouse had met someone else through a social site (either old high school love or someone new) and wants to be with them. I have one friend that one week her and her spouse was happy and took a nice weekend vacation with their kids and then the next week he left her. He found a girl on another social site that lived 3 hours away and he walked out, without warning or any indication he was unhappy.

Do you think that social sites have caused marriages to end? Have you been a victim of your spouse leaving due to a social site?

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momaof8
by Sister on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:57 AM

I think there is more to it than that

Denisethedaring
by Sister on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think social sites cause marriages to end at all.  I just think they make it easier for people who want their marriage to end to find someone else quickly.  But if a person doesn't want his or her marriage to end, all the social sites in the world will have no effect.  It would be great to be able to blame external factors, especially for the person being left--but unfortunately it wouldn't really be accurate.  The leaver just doesn't want the leavee, period. 

coolmommy2x
by Silver sister on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:05 AM
I agree. Marriages were breaking up long before the internet was around.

Quoting Denisethedaring:

I don't think social sites cause marriages to end at all.  I just think they make it easier for people who want their marriage to end to find someone else quickly.  But if a person doesn't want his or her marriage to end, all the social sites in the world will have no effect.  It would be great to be able to blame external factors, especially for the person being left--but unfortunately it wouldn't really be accurate.  The leaver just doesn't want the leavee, period. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michellejenner
by Bronze sister on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:11 AM
1 mom liked this

If a social site breaks up your marriage, your marriage was already I trouble. It's a cop out to blame the Internet.

kryptomom
by Bronze sister on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Social sites are not the reaseon.  Just the excuse.

RubyQ
by Gold sister on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I agree. Marriages were breaking up long before the internet was around.

Quoting Denisethedaring:

True. Before the internet, the most common reason would probably have been meeting someone at work. Man leaves wife for secretary--woman leaves husband for boss, etc. 

The internet has just made it easier for people to exercise their character flaws.

TableforSeven
by Bronze sister on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:47 AM

If a couple is committed and continually working on their marriage -- nothing on a social networking site is going to break it up.

lbzmom
by Support Team Sister on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Social sites play a part in the temptation and makes it easier to get into trouble... if someone is looking to get into "trouble" sooner or later they'll find it, at work, at a bar or social sites.

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:08 AM
No they would fail one way or another. Someone wants to stray and move on, they will.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
firelites
by Anne on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:08 AM

it not the real reason, it just makes it easier as an excuse

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)