Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

On unemployment and...

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:17 PM
  • 25 Replies
  • 351 Total Views
1 mom liked this

I am going NUTS!!!!  I have been on unemployment since September.  I have to apply for 5 jobs a week.  I do most of it online due to transportation issues.  I am running out of jobs to apply for.  I see the same ones over and over again, obviously I can't keep applying for the same ones.  I don't know what to do, I am a member of ton of job hunting sites.  I feel frustrated and underwhelmed I guess.  If we didn't need the money I would say to hell with it!!!  I don't know what to do!!  I am not even getting any phone calls for interviews.  I have been to 1 interview in 5 months.  I have applied with the temp agencies and been to the reemployment office.  I just want to scream!!!  I am tempted in starting to apply for jobs out of the area and moving where ever I can get a job, but it would have to be worth while enough that I could support us until dh finds a job.  I still have 7 freakin jobs to apply for by tomorrow and at a loss of where to go from here :(  Vent over thanks for reading

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovegrandbaby
by Bronze sister on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:22 PM

I know how u feel.  I have been looking for employment for five years.  I go out and apply, apply online, temp agencies, job fairs, make phone calls or revisit after applying and still nothing.  I think I am going to give up.

harmony7
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this

When I was unemployed I did  a lot of online applying...also applied for jobs I knew I would not get due to not having the right experience just to keep my unemployment going until I found something. I had to do three a week...7 would be overwhelming!

Pam in Alabama
A Mom to nine sons and one daughter with five still at home
Jebekarue
by Sister on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Technically I only have to do 5 a week, but I only found 3 to apply for last week so I have to add 2 more this week.  I know thats cheating but I am at a loss on what else to do. 

It's frustrating to see the same jobs week after week and month after month, are they just posting because they have too?  But they will never fill the position or what??? I made the mistake of applying for a bilingual position they called and asked what other language I spoke....oops I felt like an ass even though it was unintentional. 

Quoting harmony7:

When I was unemployed I did  a lot of online applying...also applied for jobs I knew I would not get due to not having the right experience just to keep my unemployment going until I found something. I had to do three a week...7 would be overwhelming!

finlyhappy65
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I know when we put out positions we get bombarded with applicants via email - over 200 for an LCSW position but only a handful were even LCSWs.  Can you try other resources?  Cold call a few places you would like to work to see if they are accepting applications and send them your resume.  I was unemployed for 9 months and ended up getting mine through the newspaper and not the internet.

michellejenner
by Bronze sister on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I feel your pain. I was let go from my job in Dec. I'm in the process of going back to school for something inthe medical field. The state pays for it. But it's such bs to go through all the steps. And it's pretty stupid to have to apply for jobs that I have no interesting. We have to apply for 3 a week.

starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:30 PM

hugs, had to do that and so did my hubby at one time.  Can you put down some that you call too and put down the place/person you spoke too?  I'm not sure what you are applying for or I might be able to offer more help...sorry.

Jebekarue
by Sister on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Yes, you put down any place you called and the person you spoke to, also any online, or walk in it all adds up to the 5 if you can find that many.

CharlotteRose
by Bronze sister on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Im sorry, I have heard rumors that the company I work for will be starting lay off early as next week. I haven't been unemployed for a very long time and if I do get laid off like you not sure how im going to do - I am a very active person and  not going to a job everyday will drive me nuts and jobs are very hard to find that is what im hearing!  GL and pls keep us posted, the right job is out there and I hope you find something soon - to keep you from going even more nuttier LOL 

finlyhappy65
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Sorry to hear that, there are rumors where I work but nothing def yet.  Good luck.

Quoting CharlotteRose:

Im sorry, I have heard rumors that the company I work for will be starting lay off early as next week. I haven't been unemployed for a very long time and if I do get laid off like you not sure how im going to do - I am a very active person and  not going to a job everyday will drive me nuts and jobs are very hard to find that is what im hearing!  GL and pls keep us posted, the right job is out there and I hope you find something soon - to keep you from going even more nuttier LOL 

keljo05
by Kelly on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:34 PM

I was in that place last year. In the end I was unemployed for just over a year, had only a few weeks left of unemployment and ended up getting a job in a great company. Took a pay cut to work here, but i believe that will change within a few years.

what kind of work are you looking for?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)