Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

4th graders and emails

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:20 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 181 Total Views

my now 5th grader asked for an email addy last year.  I thought she was a bit young but I couldnt be happier that we made one for her.  She and 2 friends have been writing a story on google docs.  They each write a chapter then email it to the next girl who adds to the story and sends it off to the next girl.  They have been doing this now for almost a year and a half.  

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:00 AM

I got youngest one about 3rd grade only because a girl that came to her school for Hurricane Katrina she befriended was moving back.  They've kept in touch since...

hau_siyoka
by Doll Baby on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:01 AM

That is awesome!!! They could be writing a future #1 Best Seller!!! Encouragment and supervision work hand in hand....This might well turn  into a big treasure one day...be sure to save frequently and store on CD ....precious memories!!!

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:32 AM
That is awesome.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crazynut
by Bronze sister on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:32 AM

both my girls have them 5th and 3rd grade... they keep in touch wiht there best friends that moved away... and then they keep in touch there best friends from MT from when we moved away!

crazymom729
by Cajun Witch (dealer) on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:33 AM
Bet that's an awesome story.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
smile357
by Linda on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:04 AM

The idea kind of scares me with my youngest, but for the reasons you ladies are giving it's actually not such a bad idea. Hopefully with this new school he'll make some new nice friends.

SeanandNoahsmom
by Manning Fan on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:11 AM

What are Google docs?....You found a great way to get 11 year old writing, Jen. Is she allowed other social media, like Facebook?

As my kids are getting older, I am worried more and more about giving them such access. wondering what the right age is. ( if I can get away with it, never lol) I have heard so many horror stories :(

my2sweetjoys
by Kay on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I bet that makes her feel so big to have her own email.I bet it is a wonderful story that they are writing!

TableforSeven
by Bronze sister on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:31 AM

We got our sons set up with email this past summer....they are in 4th and 5th grades this year.....so that they could keep in touch with old friends.

sahlady
by It's a jen.thing :) on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:31 AM

lol.... I had nothing to do with it, Im proud to say it was the girls idea.

google docs is a is just a way for the girls to save the doc.  It is through a gmail account.

she is much too young for any other social media site.

Quoting SeanandNoahsmom:

What are Google docs?....You found a great way to get 11 year old writing, Jen. Is she allowed other social media, like Facebook?

As my kids are getting older, I am worried more and more about giving them such access. wondering what the right age is. ( if I can get away with it, never lol) I have heard so many horror stories :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)