Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Debate question: 2/19

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:46 AM
  • 56 Replies
  • 728 Total Views

This debate question could spark some great debate and I hope no one gets offended. This is based on opinion ONLY and everyone has the right to their opinion.

I just heard they would like to make a law that if a child is in the car a person can NOT be smoking in the car. It is the same type of law as the seat belt, you get caught once you might get a warning and fine after that. This has spark some debate because some are saying its their car and if they want to smoke in it (with or without their kids in it) they should and other said that they should be thinking of the child's health and even with the window rolled down the smoke can still come back into the car.

Your thoughts if they decide to make this a law?

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momaof8
by Sister on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:44 AM

I am glad they are protecting the kids if the parents are too selfish to

Tricia2
by Tricia on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:45 AM
I am a non-smoker so, I would not have a problem with it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
paknari
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:47 AM
It's already illegal in my state and I think it should be. You can't wait until you stop? Then you have a serious problem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:52 AM
3 moms liked this

I have only smoked once in my car w/sweetpea in it.  I was a nervous wreck and had to calm my nerves but I wouldn't do it normally. 

I grew up with my dad doing it, window is down so no big deal, I'm fine lol... 

The gov. needs to stop policing our habits and deal with more seriouse stuff in my opinion.

TatorsBaby09
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:56 AM
1 mom liked this

as a former smoker this is gonna be hard to answer. My husband smokes, my son smokes he is of age, and his sister smokes and their dad smokes. so my younest daughter and I are out numbered. they all are polite about smoking around us they all go outside or in the mud room with the windows open and door closed to the kitchen. I can't tell my ex that he can't smoke in his own car! my husband usually doesn't smoke in my car. this law is going to cause more fights than the seatbelt law I don't see it passing or enforced atleast here in Kansas. I know for health reasons it should but its each person right to be able to smoke if they so choose to. I am going to say that I grew up in a household that parents smoked alot atleast a pack or more a day and outta 4 kids I am the only one with Asthma and I didn't have a problem until I was an adult.

secondcup5
by Proud Canuck on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Here in Canada that is the law!  There is no warning..if you get caught you get fined.

coolmommy2x
by Silver sister on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:39 AM
I thought it was already a law.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucky2Beeme
by Silver sister on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:47 AM
5 moms liked this

I don't think it should pass. I don't like the government telling me what to do in my own car. Whats next if these type laws go into effect ? they tell me what channels I can let my kid watch or what time to put him to bed ?

FYI*** I am a non smoker. I don't believe people should smoke in their car around their children.But I believe that is their choice.

jdy9440
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Yes to protect the little ones, they have every right to clean air to breathe !
BL2010
by BL on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:54 AM
4 moms liked this

Hmmm, interesting.... Another thing the government feels they need to be involved with. I smoke but don't do it if there are children in my car but it's my choice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)