Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

This debate question could spark some great debate and I hope no one gets offended. This is based on opinion ONLY and everyone has the right to their opinion.

I just heard they would like to make a law that if a child is in the car a person can NOT be smoking in the car. It is the same type of law as the seat belt, you get caught once you might get a warning and fine after that. This has spark some debate because some are saying its their car and if they want to smoke in it (with or without their kids in it) they should and other said that they should be thinking of the child's health and even with the window rolled down the smoke can still come back into the car.

Your thoughts if they decide to make this a law?

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:46 AM
Replies (51-56):
RoseWall
by RoseWall on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:24 PM

no thoughts i can share. interesting topic though

my2sweetjoys
by Kay on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:20 PM

I am a nonsmoker but I am married to one.He does not smoke in my car because it is the main vehicle for my mother in law(on oxygen) and my 5 yr old has asthma.I cannot see how a person cannot wait to take a smoke while kids especially babies are in the car so it is to protect the kids but what about at home? There is no way to do that so why having the law by car going to change things?

We do not smoke inside my house and I have relatives that smoke in the car, home and everywhere else when thier daughter has asthma.They do not think smoke can go to the back of the house.If you are a smoker, you are used to that smell and if you do not, you are more sensitive to the smell of smoke.Personally I do not let anyone smoke in my husband's truck even if he does.I made the mistake of letting 2 friends smoke and I could not breath, it was windows down and all.

The government is trying to control too much.I think people should make the decision for themselves.

mrgetinold
by Gold sister on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Can i vote on this! Its there car but they have to share the air with everyone! So i think yep and go farther, i hate ppl that smoke while driving ( first isnt that distracting) then they unroll their windows down and stick and tap their smokes out of their car! Well i dont have ac in my carso windows down and have to inhaul their smoke yuck
Birdie100
by Sister on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:44 PM

First time I hear of this.  I'm a non smoker, but I don't think it's really correct. Just because they don't do it in the car (if it's made law) doesn't mean it won't be done in the same room at the home.  I think that's a personal decision on how you raise your kids and what you choose to expose them to.

tinysmom160
by Bronze sister on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:16 PM

They want to make a law about everything it is so silly I have never smoke and never plan too. But I my own person and can make that choice. Both my parents smoke BUT i do not so see I am fine.

cjcharlie1959
by Dungeon Queen on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:00 AM

WOW!! I no longer smoke. Everyone over 21 at my house smokes.  The only ones left are hte littles ones.  I don't smoke in my car, my husband smokes in his but we have no one under the age of 21 at home.  There is no smoking in the house, only in hte garage and outside. 

I see 2 sides:

1. little ones shouldn't have to deal with it. So no smoking around them even in a car.

2. the government is trying to dictate what we do,say, hear, think etc...which is violating our personal freedoms.  We can't smoke in hotels, restaurants, and in most cases bars.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)