Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Just joined and wanted to introduce myself.  I'm relatively new to chatting online to begin with, only about 18 or so months and brand new to cafemom.  I haven't read any of the other intros here so I don't know how much exact personal info is given in relation to actual name.  I did read on the section about joining this group that it is private but that there is one part that isn't, so if anyone can help me understand how that works, I would appreciate the help.

My screen name is SunRei17 which in itself actually gives some personal info :)

I live in the western part of the US and grew up in a large family.  I had my 1st child, a son, when I was a teenager.  I married (not my 1st born dad) and had my oldest daughter when my son was 2 1/2.  A year later I had another son who died 3 days later while he and I were both still in the hospital.  A year later I had another daughter and 4 years after that I had my youngest son.

I was a divorced mom who ended up raising my children w/o any financial help from my ex from the time my youngest of 4 kids was 2 yrs and my oldest was 12.  I do clerical/secretarial work and am involved with political actions that involve the line of work I am employed by.

After my divorce, I was married (common-law with a ceremony) to a wonderful man for 7 years but he died of a heart attack the day after my second child graduated from high school.

My "nest" became empty just a couple of years ago and am rediscovering myself with all of the extra time I now have.  I am in a relationship with a wodower who also has 4 adult kids.  I thought dealing with my adult step kids was the most difficult thing I ever had to deal with.  I thought.

Unfortunately, the most difficult thing ever was and is the death of my youngest son who died in a car accident just a little over a year ago.  He was 21 years old and the grief is still very raw.  My son lived his life knowing he was loved and he in return loved back.  He had a packed church at his services and my favorite thing lately has been discovering pictures of my son that I've never seen before or hearing stories about him from his friends. 

This loss has been not just mine, but his friends and of course my other children's.  This last year I have been worrying about them and come to realize that they have been worrying about me.

So that brings me to where I am now.  I promised my kids that I would get out more and just live.

That's pretty much all for now.  Thank you for adding me to this group.  I look forward to cyber meet my 40ish and above sisters and getting to know all of you!

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Replies (41-48):
SunRei17
by Sister on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Thank you hau_siyoka for the warm welcome.  Like I told another member here, I am discovering a great group of women here...now I just need to make more time to come here.

SunRei17
by Sister on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:18 PM

CuteOL, Your two sons are the exact ages of my two daughters.

SunRei17
by Sister on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Thanks for the answer to my question and the nice welcome.

Let me guess, you like the Care Bears?  My favorite was, well still is, Good Luck Bear, mainly because I like the color green and 3 leaf clovers!

Quoting wishbearmom:

Hi and welcome. The "Let's Talk" forum is public, but the General Discussion is private, so anything you don't feel comfortable sharing on a public forum should be posted on the General Discussion board. We're glad to have you!

hau_siyoka
by Doll Baby on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Welcome to the 40ish and  Beyond family....We are always here for our sister to listen and advise as needed...So very sorry for your loss but you will find many great sisters that will keep you laughing and reading....Enjoy the forums and post and play as you feel comfy....much lovewelcome

wishbearmom
by Ruby sister on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I've been a member of CM since Oct '06, when my youngest daughter was 3 and very much into Carebears - so much so, in fact, that she assigned every member of our family a Carebear ID. Mine was Wishbear, which is what prompted my screenname. I do think they're cute, though, but now that she's 9 1/2 she's not as into them. She still has her collection though.

Quoting SunRei17:

Let me guess, you like the Care Bears?  My favorite was, well still is, Good Luck Bear, mainly because I like the color green and 3 leaf clovers!

Quoting wishbearmom:

Hi and welcome. The "Let's Talk" forum is public, but the General Discussion is private, so anything you don't feel comfortable sharing on a public forum should be posted on the General Discussion board. We're glad to have you!

SunRei17
by Sister on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:50 PM

I love it!

I started collecting them back in the 80's but then stopped after they started adding all these off the wall ones trying to get people to buy them just because CareBears were very popular.  Still love the original ones though.

Quoting wishbearmom:

I've been a member of CM since Oct '06, when my youngest daughter was 3 and very much into Carebears - so much so, in fact, that she assigned every member of our family a Carebear ID. Mine was Wishbear, which is what prompted my screenname. I do think they're cute, though, but now that she's 9 1/2 she's not as into them. She still has her collection though.

Quoting SunRei17:

Quoting wishbearmom:

wishbearmom
by Ruby sister on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:56 PM

I agree. They did start adding random ones that no one (myself included) understood, and it was definitely a marketing ploy, and an ineffective one at that. I think they were trying to be PC and it backfired.

Quoting SunRei17:

I love it!

I started collecting them back in the 80's but then stopped after they started adding all these off the wall ones trying to get people to buy them just because CareBears were very popular.  Still love the original ones though.

Quoting wishbearmom:

Quoting SunRei17:

Quoting wishbearmom:

tallmom1
by Sister on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Welcome sista!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN