Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Tired of Feeling Horrible? Iodine!

Posted by   + Show Post

To Whom It May Concern:

Earlier this year, I was finally, after YEARS of feeling crappy, given a test for vitamin D levels. Guess what? It wasn't just sub-par; it was LOW. 10.93. Under thirty is low. Well, started taking 50,000IU vitamin D once per week. Felt amazing for three days! Doc just approved me to take another 50,000IU capsule 3-4 days after the first. In the meantime, I researched vitamin deficiencies. Lo and behold, I find magnesium and Iodine are also common deficiencies here in the USA. Yes---IODINE. The stuff we think we get enough of in salt. Well, girls, we don't. Not only do we not get enough of it in salt, fluoride (in the water), and bromide(in the flour) REMOVE it from our bodies. Upshot is, I started taking an Iodine supplement: "Iodoral", daily. Within two days, I felt better. Within three days my hands stopped shaking, which they have done my entire LIFE. I can think. I am no longer chronically constipated. My skin looks better. I have energy levels rivaling my that in my twenties. AND!!---My hair is growing again.

Morning nausea is gone. Joint and muscle pain is reduced to the point that I am nearly off medication. No more heartburn. No more brain fog.

Get your levels checked! Doc won't want to do it; but insist. You will feel better.

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:18 PM
Replies (11-11):
Ashgreymane
by Sister on Apr. 7, 2013 at 4:53 PM

To lovegrandbaby:

My Mother can't take Synthroid, either. Thyroid problems run in her family of nine siblings----out of five girls, all have thyroid problems. All were prescribed Synthroid. Only one of the girls, my Aunts, did okay on it. The rest had increased symptoms, HUGE weight gain, depression, and so on. My Mother finally found...wait a sec, let me call her.

Okay, Mom says the brand name is "CYTOMEL". It's very expensive without insurance; in our area of the USA (KY) $189. A generic brand of this is "LIOTHYRONINE". Mom did well with this generic version for awhile, then suddenly did not. Her doctor told her she is among about 2% of the population who is hyper-sensitive to nearly all medications, which we had noticed for years ourselves. When she switched to the CYTOMEL, though, no more problems. She feels much, much better all the way around. By the way, my Mother also has Lupus. Someone with fewer medical issues might do better with the generic version.

I hope you will go online and do a search about "problems with Synthroid". It's NOT your imagination; a lot of people seem to have problems with it, and whether Doc will admit it or not; they know this. I've noticed Doctors like for things to be their own idea---maybe you could play dumb and ask if there is something else you could take, or go in with it crudely written on a torn piece of paper. I know! Shouldn't have to do that! But whatever works, you know?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)