Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

in need of some ideas?

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 5:20 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 207 Total Views
In just a few months my dd will turn 18 (where did my baby go) and a few short weeks later graduate high school too, i would like to get her something special for these big life events something she will have and keep, for one celebration i have a ring my mom ( now passed gave to me so it has precious history to pass onto her) but i m stuck as to what to give her for the other i go back and forth on? So any ideas cm mommas
also ideas on a party, my family hasnt had to be around my in laws as my in laws cant behave, my mil has commented on my nieces wt, that my nieces children look nothing like the rest of us, and has screamed at them for not mingling with her family ( i m related to her and i dont even want to mingle with them) and my sil and her family arent any better! Anyway its been 8 yrs since we had a combined family anything and im dreading it, dh wont help on his families front and i got tired of apologizing for them! Uggh,
Any advice many thanks and hugs
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 5:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cuteoverload
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Best 18th Birthday Gift Ideas Top 10 List

We need your help here. All things considered, which in your opinion are the best gifts for an 18th Birthday in 2013? Please vote now!

W

e are pleased to present, The 2013 top gifts for 18th Birthday! Along with the help of our readers we have selected literally hundreds of 18th Birthday gift ideas. The products and sponsors that we have selected are highly rated. Best of all it's all packed onto one really big, easy-shop web page!
The Top 10 18th Birthday Gifts 2013!!! This best of the best Gifts for 18th Birthday List serves as a guide for shoppers this year. Lot's of folks have been voting for the best Gift Ideas for 18th Birthday and adding fresh new ones too, below are the current standings.

Rock the vote, it's quick, and easy. Your vote counts. Something missing? SUBMISSIONS ARE WELCOME and encouraged! Add a gift you feel should be on the Best Gifts for 18th Birthday 201 list, just click "add to this list" below and get it up there for everyone to vote on!!!

SYMA S108G 3.5 CH Infrared Mini Radio Controlled Marine Cobra Helicopter Gyro

SYMA S108G 3.5 CH Infrared Mini Radio Controlled Marine Cobra Helicopter Gyro

This is the Newest Mini Helicopter by SYMA. The Electric Co-axial Micro helicopter series is suited for both the beginner and the advanced pilot, anyone can enjoy it with the first flight.1 point

World's Largest REESE'S Peanut Butter Cups

World's Largest REESE'S Peanut Butter Cups

It's a dream come true for peanut butter lovers: two gigantic REESE'S Peanut Butter Cups in one enormous package! The one-pound REESE'S Peanut Butter Cups will delight the most serious peanut butter lover. We recommend you find a friend or two or three (or seven) to enjoy these with. Makes a great gift for your favorite peanut butter (and chocolate) lover.1 point

Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS 12.1 MP Digital Camera (Black)

Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS 12.1 MP Digital Camera (Black)

The Canon 5096B001 PowerShot ELPH 300 HS Black 12MP Digital Camera with 5x Zoom and 2.7 In. LCD Display has a slim profile that will not only make you stand out from the crowd, but it will also deliver incredibly brilliant still images and amazing 1080p HD videos. Once you turn on the camera, be prepared to be amazed at how much is packed into one of the slimmest point-and-shoot digital cameras on the market. So let your imagination run free and let the HS SYSTEM, 24mm 5x Optical Zoom and 12.1 M...0 points

Skullcandy SCS-SCBP3.5 Skullcrushers Subwoofer Stereo Headphones (Black Pinstripe)

Skullcandy SCS-SCBP3.5 Skullcrushers Subwoofer Stereo Headphones (Black Pinstripe)

The Skullcandy Skullcrushers Subwoofer Stereo Headphones in Black Pinstripe will literally pump the music right into your head! These power packing headphones feature an adjustable in-line bass amplifier and speakers with industry first built-in vibrating subwoofers. You can adjust the amount of bass effect with the in-line control wheel. The Crushers are ideal for MP3 Players, portable DVD, bass heavy music, and are the ultimate for any gamer.0 points

Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G Android Phone (Verizon Wireless)

Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G Android Phone (Verizon Wireless)

The world's first smartphone running on Android 4.0 (a.k.a., Ice Cream Sandwich), the 4G-enabled Samsung Galaxy Nexus for Verizon brings a redesigned user interface with enhanced multitasking, notifications, full Web browsing experience, and more. You'll also enjoy innovative, next-gen features such as Face Unlock, which uses facial recognition to unlock the Galaxy Nexus, and Near Field Communications (NFC) capabilities. Powered by Android 4.0 and a 1.2 GHz dual-core processor.0 points

Apple iPod touch 64GB (4th Generation) - Black - Current Version

Apple iPod touch 64GB (4th Generation) - Black - Current Version

The world's most popular portable gaming device is even more fun. Now available in black and white, iPod touch includes iOS 5 with over 200 new features, like iMessage, Notification Center, and Twitter integration. Send free, unlimited text messages over Wi-Fi with iMessage. Record HD video and make FaceTime calls. Visit the App Store to choose from over 500,000 apps. iPod touch also features iCloud, which stores your music, photos, apps, and moreÑand wirelessly pushes them to all your devices.

0 points

Kenwood KDC248U In-Dash Head Unit Car Stereo

Kenwood KDC248U In-Dash Head Unit Car Stereo

Making it easy to connect, search, select and enjoy music from your iPod® or iPhone®. In addition the Kenwood KDC248U In-Dash Head Unit Car Stereo features a front auxiliary input that easily accepts the headphone output of a portable music player or smart-phone and a remote control. The Kenwood KDC248U In-Dash Head Unit Car Stereo is a great sounding receiver with multiple connectivity options all at a great price.0 points

Pillow Remote Control

Pillow Remote Control

Pillow Remote Control. The sofa pillow with the distinctive difference--its also a remote control. Never again will you have to ask, "wheres the remote" And youll never lose this remote in between the cushions. Because it IS a cushion-- with a built-in 6-in-1 universal remote control! Fast, easy set-up with pre-programmed automatic code searching. The Pillow Remote Control has databases containing codes for over 500 remote control devices. Its easy-to-click fabric buttons make changing channels....0 points

Apple iPad MC705LL/A (16GB, Wi-Fi, Black) NEWEST MODEL

Apple iPad MC705LL/A (16GB, Wi-Fi, Black) NEWEST MODEL

Apple iPad MC705LL/A (16GB, Wi-Fi, Black) NEWEST MODEL0 points

cuteoverload
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this

run from unhealthy family that is what I am doing.  Thanks for the post!

ATL958
by Sister on Feb. 23, 2013 at 5:56 PM
For a nice gift idea, I say a nice wrist watch. Maybe one with Swarovski crystals for a little "bling"?

You could have it engraved, which would make it very personable.

The ceramic watches are very much in style right now with teens.

Link to some:
http://www.overstock.com/search?keywords=&resultsPerPage=25&taxonomy=cat3435#search-results

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MiddleAgeMess
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 5:59 PM
Diamond stud earrings. Simple enough for everyday, classy enough for work, and a "grown up" gift that can be passed down or reset if she ever desires.
starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:16 PM

If you still have some of her things/mementos/papers etc. from her years in school maybe make a scrapbook of memories?

WriterDeb
by New sister on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:31 PM
My parents have me my first (and only) string of pearls for my HS graduation. If you want something more personal and less expensive, maybe a DVD set to music with pictures from her life to this point, a book of things you love about her (you can make one on My Publisher) or your best advice or a recipe book with your recipes in it. Also, Dr. Seuss' "Oh the Places you'll Go"'is a graduation must.
Good luck!
hau_siyoka
by Doll Baby on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this

When my girls turned 18 I gave them all lockettes with a baby pic of them and a new up to date pic...Charm bracelettes are stylish again...Hold on to the heirloom till she is older and can be used as something old when she marries...or has a child to pass it down to the next generation..

crazynut
by Bronze sister on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:44 AM

I didnt see anything in that list that I thought an 18 year girl would want.. maybe an ipad or computer.  I agree a nice jelwery and save the heirloom when she old and understand the importance of it. As for the family, your just gonna have to straight up tell them this is Jennys day do ruin it.. if you have a problem keep it to yourself. Sorry but Im rude like that.. I dont deal well with family drama... part of the reason we left it

My family!!

puritydoll
by Bronze sister on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:51 AM

My baby turns 18 and graduates this summer, too.  I am thinking of talking to her father about us both getting her a nice SLR digital camera. I know she would like that.
From me I'm planning to lay out a photo album and have it printed for her. 

wishbearmom
by Ruby sister on Feb. 24, 2013 at 2:45 AM

You could have a quilt made for her. If she goes off to college she'd have something very special to take with her - a piece of home. Some quilt makers even utilize your own clothing/fabric (things like a baby dress or something you've kept from when she was little).

http://www.elegacyquilts.com/

My sister made her granddaughter a monkey quilt for her 18th birthday. It turned out adorable.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)