Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Fido on food stamps

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:31 AM
  • 28 Replies
  • 550 Total Views
1 mom liked this

** I want to say before anyone reads this that it is NOT a bash post on those who recieve food stamps, we dont know anyone situation and why they are on food stamps so DONT BASH THEM!

When man falls on hard times, what's his best friend to do?

A new donation-based program called Pet Food Stamps aims to provide food stamps for pets of low-income families and for food stamp recipients who otherwise could not afford to feed their pets, reported ABC affiliate KVIA in Las Cruces, N.M.

Based in New York, the program is open to anyone in the United States. More than 45,000 pets have already been signed up in the past two weeks, according to the program's founder and executive director Marc Okon. Once need and income is verified, the families will receive pet food each month from pet food retailer Pet Food Direct for a six-month period.

"We're not looking for government funding at this point," Okon told ABCNews.com. "Should the government be willing to provide assistance further down the line, we will look into it."

The only way to apply for the program is through an online application, but Okon said applications would be accepted through mail once the program moved to its new office.

Okon said the program's nonprofit status was still pending.

There is currently no federal pet food stamp program in place, although the U.S. Department of Agriculture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service tries to provide protection for animals in case of emergencies or natural disasters. The 1966 Animal Welfare Act also makes no mention of providing food for pets.

Okon's program isn't revolutionary. Other animal shelters and rescue leagues around the country, such as the Washington Animal Rescue League, have been providing pet food banks, in addition to discounted pet care, for years.

"One of our missions is to provide income-qualified families with discounted pet care, vaccinations, vaccine clinics, neutered clinics and vet care," said Washington Animal Rescue League spokesman Matt Williams. "We have a new medical center on site. … We also have a food bank run entirely on donations."

The new pet food stamp program comes at a when monthly food stamp assistance could be phased out. A temporary food stamp boost for low-income families was initiated in April 2009 to help offset the effects of the 2008 recession and is set to expire on Oct. 31, 2013, unless Congress passes legislation to extend the benefits.

Approximately 46.6 million people used the federal food stamp program in 2012, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maryg38
by Sweet Mary <3 on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:47 AM
1 mom liked this
That's awesome
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jers.
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:48 AM

I saw this the other day and contemplated posting it here, but chickened out lol

I think it's a great idea though.

SAMI_JO
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:49 AM

We need doggie food stamps! We spend more on dog food in a week, than for food for us.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Jers.:

I saw this the other day and contemplated posting it here, but chickened out lol

I think it's a great idea though.

If you have a post that you think it is interesting please post it! Here in 40ish we encourage all post and sisters to feel comfortable posting and replying.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:52 AM
4 moms liked this

I think if some can get assistance for fido then maybe we wouldnt be seeing fido in shelters or set free in the country to die. Ijust rescued a 6 week old puppy last week and she was starving when we got her.

maryg38
by Sweet Mary <3 on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:01 AM
I once knew this guy ( he's since passed) that would get 2sandwiches once every 2 weeks. One for him and one for his dog. He would sit outside with him and share.... It might not have been good for the dog but when he ran out of food he fed him what he could.... That was love for his best friend.
gbcmom
by Bronze sister on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:40 AM
1 mom liked this
I volunteered at a similar agency, yrs ago. We verified income, address and they had to show proof of spay/ nueter. They could get pet assistance for 6 months period. No extensions. And a maximum of 2 pets. They were very strict, but it worked well. I am not sure that I would support it if it was government funded.
wishbearmom
by Ruby sister on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this

It's donation-based, so I say if there are people willing to contribute, why not. They know exactly where there money is going.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:27 AM
2 moms liked this

Now each week I give my dollar to the local shelter for food (its all they ask for) and hope that if I ever needed it that they would be there for me.

Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

That is really nice! Funny this comes up, because years ago I joked to someone that too bad the states don't offer a program that could be called "vetical."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN