Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

gardening moms come read I need help or ideas

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:03 PM
  • 31 Replies
  • 311 Total Views

so I rented this house it had 4 flower beds that were just mulch. this was in sept. I thought great I can use it as a veggie garden. so I start my veggies in trays this year. now spring is just around the corner and I have my starts started. and all of a sudden these empty flower beds start blooming flowers. so I have no clue how many flowers are in there and what kind. I could till but I was also going to do flowers to sell in flower arrangements. so do I just pull up what is there, and replant them? knowing I may have more flowers pop up later? or do I just plant somewhere else? what is your opinion and how would you personally handle this? I may get flowers in fall I am not aware of too.

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh wow what to do?? I think I would find a new spot to plant as these flowers could be bulb flowers and then again they might not be... LOL

wishbearmom
by Ruby sister on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:34 PM

You really have to live in a place for an entire year before making any changes. It's the only way to get to know your home.

starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:51 PM

if you can move them to someplace else I would and then till up the area for your veggies.  If it's not to big a deal lol... 

cuteoverload
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I don't have a  green thumb but google organic gardening if you want to use herbs instead of pesticides

opinionatedmom
by Gold sister on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:24 PM

trust me they are bulbs guessing irises. I will know for sure after they bloom. but I have 72 tomatoe starts with now no place to put them.

Quoting dana63:

Oh wow what to do?? I think I would find a new spot to plant as these flowers could be bulb flowers and then again they might not be... LOL

teacher_mommy3
by New sister on Feb. 27, 2013 at 3:29 AM

I would say it would be best to wait and see what's in the flower bed.  There may be bulbs that bloom on a yearly basis.  The only way to remove them is to dig them up and then you can replant them elsewhere; However, with this in mind, like you said there may be many different types that bloom throughout the season and the only way to know exactly what you have is to wait and see what comes up. 

This exact situation happened when we first moved into our current home.  I planted, without thinking, and surprise all these bulbs started sprouting through the soil!  My husband, who has a horticulture degree, recommended we wait and see what came up.  So, we did and were pleasantly surprised at all the beautiful plants that grew up from all those bulbs that I didn't even know were there. 

It's hard to say well just dig up the entire bed, because depending on the bulbs or reseeding plants that come up annually, you don't know the depth they are buried in the soil.  If you miss some they will sprout up among your plants.  You could pull, but then if it's a bulb they'll just keep coming back up.  Four O'Clocks are notorious for doing this, and are very hard to get rid of, I've been trying to do this for over        15 yrs. and it never fails that one will pop up again.  They are what you call tuber plants, kind of like how a potato grows under the ground.  Their seeds fall off by the millions and grow everywhere.  So, my suggestion is that if you do decide to allow the plants to come up and bloom, in order to see exactly what you have, I suggest you dig them up before they set on seeds.  If it's a bulb you'll see it when you dig it up and you can replant it elsewhere. 

I hope this was helpful, I don't know everything about this, but I know this from my experience working in greenhouses and at home.  It took me a long time to get all the like bulbs moved to a new location all together, but it was well worth it.  I love the fact that they come up year after year and I do not have to purchase flowers each spring to cover my entire flower bed.  I always have a space reserved for my special favorites to seed or plant every year.  Good luck and best wishes with the project.  Happy gardening! : )

DreamWeaver669
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:30 AM

I would plant them some where else mama

cmommyrun
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Bulbs are very hardy...go ahead and move them.i would then use a rototiller to make sure weed and any hiding bulbs are gone so they don't affect your tomatoes. I wouldn't be surprised if you still get some next yr though . Good luck :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RubyQ
by Gold sister on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Actually, it's great to do tomatoes in containers, like pickle buckets or plastic tibs because you can move them around for optimum sun. 

Take a look at some creative container tomatoes on the internet.

alexgia
by Silver sister on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:47 AM

chances are they are bulbs and they can probably be moved but not when they are blooming.  if you have no other space for your veggies you could consider planting them in containers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)