Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Dear 16 year old self.............

Posted by   + Show Post

Going back in time and writing yourself a letter to warn you about the future what would be in your letter?

** We done this before and we had a good time with it and I even had some PM me saying this was the best post they could reply to.

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Replies (31-38):
NewMom11222011
by Bronze sister on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Note to self:

D is not the one.  He will become an alcoholic and you don't need that crap in your life; you've had too much of it in your life already.  Sure, he's hot and kisses like no one's business but you will survive!  Just play that record over and over and over and believe it.

Mama2Spencerninja

firelites
by Anne on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:38 PM

MentorMom1
by Gold sister on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Dear Sixteen-Year-Old Self,

This is your adult self talking. I love you very much. You can lay your head on my lap whenever you want to, and talk to me anytime and tell me what's in  your heart. When you think you don't know who you are, just realize that the people who are supposed to be giving you feedback everyday, helping you to grow up strong and confident,  just aren't up to it. But there are other people out there to watch and learn from. Don't ever give up. There's a whole world waiting to be discovered, and you will be a part of it.

RoseWall
by RoseWall on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:50 AM

dear me at 16.

seriously.

move out sooner.

get married first.

dump the cheater.

lose wieght now

AmyA1071
by Sister on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Dear 16 Year Old Self:

Life is a journey and its a long adventure.  Make plans but realize plans change and you need to adapt in order to be happy -- go back to school sooner rather than later to realize the career you want instead of the one that picks you.  Make sure you figure out what you want to do and make sure you specialize in something don't be a jack of all trades it doesn't pay off for you in the end.  Keep your head in the game and remember the values you were thought and you will be fine.  Find things you like and do them throughout your life because there is a chance it can be short........

And PS:  don't stress so much over your weight its not so bad and keep yourself in shape and healthy and you will be just fine.

TableforSeven
by Bronze sister on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Dear 16 year old self - You are on the right path...keep it up!!

Tameez
I just need to keep reminding myself.....
Yesterday at 7:26 PM
by Bronze sister on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Dear Me...

You are pregnant and scared.  You worry that things aren't going to be ok.  You know that your parents are ashamed but eventually your mom and dad will come around.  

You will finish school. You will excel at your education and even be the Senior Class President all while married and having the most beautiful baby boy.

None of it will be easy.  You need to know that there is a lot of give and take.  You will have to walk away from your friends because they are doing what 16 year old's do, you have bigger things to accomplish to make things better for your child.

You will marry the most wonderful man in the world and DON'T EVER WORRY THAT HE WILL WALK AWAY when you have problems. You will suffer with depression, you will have health problems and he will still be there right by your side. 

You will go on to have 2 miscarriages that will be very difficult, again....he will be your rock.

Eventually you will have another son and then a daughter.  If you think parenting is tough when the kids are little, trust me you will need a hard hat when they become teenagers!

Your children will make your proud.  They will make you mad.  They will make you sad. They will stop wanting those hugs and kisses so get as many as you can now.

You will have grandchildren one day and realize that they are just as amazing as your own children if not better...you can fill them with sugar and send them back home :)  

As I write this letter you have just turned 47, you are coming up on your 31st Wedding Anniversary.  

Take each day and be thankful for everything, even the bad or rough situations are valuable lessons in life that will make you who your are now.

You will lose your mom to Cancer...it will not only be a long and difficult journey for her but as well for you. Tell her you love her every single day, make more time for her and laugh at things that would normally make you roll your eye's because you think she thinks your stupid! 

I love you.................   Me :)

cherylam
by Bronze sister on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Dear 16 year old self.

Getting married to escape your parents is not the way to freedom.   You only have to live at home 2 more years, apply yourself to school and work on getting that scholarship, and move out then. You can go forward and never look back!  Chase your dream, you know what it is.

Your parents will die relatively young, and you will be the care giver (talk about irony!).  Momma will die from a stroke, and has dementia.... Da will have kidney failure.  Love them every chance you get, lots of hugs and kisses, and even though you will be very sad, you did everything you could to be a good daughter.  The sister and brothers you have will disown you, and will have nothing to do with you, so cultivate a garden of friends, and most of all, never let anyone steal your joy!

Love yourself, never let anyone ever tell you that you are unworthy of love.  This, most of all, will break your heart as you begin to believe everything everyone has told you over the years.

After many struggles, you will be blessed with two living children.  Love them fiercely, with total devotion.  This is the greatest gift the idiot you marry will give you.  They will grow up and move on, but you will be blessed with grandchildren.  Some may not be born to your children.  Remember how it felt to be on the outside as a 'step', and apply it firmly in your life.

You will stay married to ____, even though many times in over 33 years he will be cruel and heartless to you, and say and do terrible things to you.  You didn't know the difference between 'love and devotion' and 'dependence and self pity'.  When he dies you will be lost for a few months, but, like a phoenix, you will rise from the ashes of your former life, and you will finally become the woman you were always destined to be.  LIVE!  LOVE!  And don't look back, the past can only torment you if you let it!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)