Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Debate question: How young is too young for the SCHOOL to be teaching sex education?

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:23 AM
  • 35 Replies
  • 447 Total Views
1 mom liked this

How young is too young should a school start talking about sex education? If your Kindergarden child came home with a permission slip would you sign it?

Here is an article and you give your opinion on this..

Chicago Public Schools is considering a new proposal that would begin teaching sexual education in kindergarten.

MyFoxChicago.com reports that the district's proposal follows "national sexuality education standards" and addresses sexual orientation and bullying for the first time.

Under the proposed policy, younger students will learn about appropriate and inappropriate touching and feelings, according to a district news release. Students in fourth grade will learn about puberty and the HIV virus.

Instruction for children in fifth grade and above will focus on reproduction, contraception, and the transmission and prevention of HIV/AIDS, among other topics, the news releases states.

Chicago Public Schools CEO Barbara Byrd-Bennett said the new program will provide children with age-appropriate knowledge that can guide them throughout their lives.

"It is important that we provide students of all ages with accurate and appropriate information so they can make healthy choices in regards to their social interactions, behaviors, and relationships," Byrd-Bennett said in a statement.

The proposed policy has been met with mixed reaction from parents in the school district.

"I just don't think it's appropriate," Melissa Diebold, a parent with children in the district, told MyFoxChicago.com. "I don't think its age appropriate. They have no concept of anything like that at that stage in life."

Another parent, Mikkel Nance, told the station he believes sex education should start at home but applauds the district for getting involved early on.

"[T]he only concern is how they implement it, and if they involved parents in that process and if they do so they'll make that transition smoothly," he said.

Parents will be able to opt out of having their children participate in the program, according to a district news release.

If approved by the Chicago Board of Education, the new program would be implemented by 2016, according to the station's report.

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TableforSeven
by Silver sister on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:25 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't feel it is a school's place to teach sex education.  I believe the parents shuld do it and teach it from the family's moral and personal point of view.  Sadly I know that many parents DON'T discuss sex with their children...and rely on schools to do it for them.  So if it MUST be taught....not until middle school.  And the parents should be informed well ahead of time and given an opt-out form to remove their child from the classroom during any sex-Ed discussions.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I feel that sex education should start at home even if it means the schools send home the material for the parents to review and go over with their child what they want to at that time. I was always open with my kids and felt it was important to express my feelings and allow them to express theirs and always keep the lines of communications open and talk OFTEN! I understand the school feels they need to have some sex educationa nd truth be known in 7 grade that would be fine just like we had when we were kids.

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:48 AM
With some 11 year olds getting pregnant sex ed needs to start around 9 or 10 and you build each year with more info.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crazymom729
by Cajun Witch (dealer) on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:53 AM
1 mom liked this
It needs to start young...but not at school.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
connietrrll
by Silver sister on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Unfortunately some parents teach their kids, and some don't! Then you have kids that will talk about it, and spread things that may not be truthful. Which could also be something that is believed to be true by their parents.

(example my husband and his brother and sisters never learned how to swim because his parents told them that if someone ejaculated in the water the girls could get pregnant, and the boys would get diseases that would cause them to loose their genitals!)

I would rather have the schools telling truthful facts! Then parents explaining things wrong! That is just my opinion. I am a very open parent, and I have explained stuff to my kids that most people would cringe at. But, I want them to know truths, not things like my husbands family believed!!!!

I also would hope that the schools would not go into detail with 5 year olds on the actual act of intercourse. Here it starts with what an asexual animal is, then explains the next situation!

Arwyn724
by Bronze sister on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:28 AM

OMG, that is just sooooo wrong!!!  I also believe it should start young, at home, but not all parents will, so learning at school early and continuously is ok with me as long as it stays age-appropriate each step of the way.

Quoting connietrrll:

Unfortunately some parents teach their kids, and some don't! Then you have kids that will talk about it, and spread things that may not be truthful. Which could also be something that is believed to be true by their parents.

(example my husband and his brother and sisters never learned how to swim because his parents told them that if someone ejaculated in the water the girls could get pregnant, and the boys would get diseases that would cause them to loose their genitals!)

I would rather have the schools telling truthful facts! Then parents explaining things wrong! That is just my opinion. I am a very open parent, and I have explained stuff to my kids that most people would cringe at. But, I want them to know truths, not things like my husbands family believed!!!!

I also would hope that the schools would not go into detail with 5 year olds on the actual act of intercourse. Here it starts with what an asexual animal is, then explains the next situation!

Arwyn 724 

gonecrazi
by Lucky :) on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:47 AM
2 moms liked this

The things they will be teaching the young ones needs to be taught by parents. I think 7th grade is a good time to start..

connietrrll
by Silver sister on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Arwyn724:

OMG, that is just sooooo wrong!!!  I also believe it should start young, at home, but not all parents will, so learning at school early and continuously is ok with me as long as it stays age-appropriate each step of the way.

Quoting connietrrll:

I agree! Small steps to introduce it. Not this is how your mommy and daddy made you type of thing.

starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I think they need to slowly introduce things in Health class...only because parents either don't teach them, mis-information and it's from someone other than a parent where some kids "blow them off".

It will help the kids too I think, I had a friend try to convince me when we were little that sex was this/that when it wasn't right.....

They can teach it and not be graphic...

missvickey
by Bronze sister on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I beleive it should be taught at home as well, but there are too many out there that don't teach/talk to their kids about it or are misinformed themselves so unfortunately that's the way it has to be until someone comes up with a better solution. Middle school sounds good and I like the "opt out" idea for those that will be taking care of this at home but then you'll also have some of the people who can't or won't talk to their kids or the misinformed opting out. Then we're left with the same problem we started with although maybe not as big. It's a good starting place though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN