Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Keeping a positive attitude can be a tough thing to do!

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:47 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 264 Total Views

I'm new here at Cafe Mom and I wanted to be able to share some stories about raising a son, sometimes alone for a spell, then changing lifestyles.  It's sometimes hard to keep a positive attitude when my son graduated with two degrees from college and had to move back home or be in the streets.  At 32, what advice can you give me when the colleges don't prepare students to work in the filed of their career choice, and the work history keeps a young man (your child) from getting that first real job.  Any tips....

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
finlyhappy65
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:59 PM

What degrees does he have?

anneshiever0657
by New sister on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:03 PM

He has an accounting degree but no money to get the study guide or take the CPA exams which also require two years working as an accountant (go figure) and also a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration.  He is either way over qualified for a job, or lacks experience.  How do you keep telling him it will be ok when times are tough at home anf he knows he is creating a financial burden on his parents too.  It can be very frustrating to keep positive.  Thanks for responding 

finlyhappy65
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Has he tried a temp service?  Many want accounting skills which would give him experience in the "real world" 

cuteoverload
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:21 PM

to

I would suggest that your son picks up any job for now because employers like to see and individual working

Keep us informed.

jmlmomma
by Momma's new BFF on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I would also think that a temp job at an accountants office would be easy to find this time of year, maybe it would also help get his foot in a door... also he may just need to get a student loan to finish his educational needs..

WELCOME to the group and good luck to your son... 

RubyQ
by Gold sister on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:39 PM

How? By keeping things in perspective. Your son's difficulty may not be his own doing, or the doing of the college. This is an unprecedented stage of our economy. Unlike the depression of the past, this recession is now taking place in a GLOBAL economy. It is having many new and unseen effects on all facets of job, wage and career life. It is important to note that, because of a declining manufacturing sector--which will never reach previous levels again due to a workforce changing from a manufacturing to a service one-- there are simply far fewer entry level jobs for new graduates in many sectors. 

Also, the recession has created another new hardship for college graduates. The millions of jobs lost represented mainly older, middle income workers nearing retirement, or up and coming new workers in middle income fields. College grads are now forced to compete with experienced seniors for the same jobs. And those jobs are less and less desirable not to mention less available. Seniors are proving to be the employee of choice. They're more likely to take less pay, less likely to create turnover, aren't looking for extended benefits, healthcare, and pensions, and are generally known to be more dedicated workers. What more could an employer ask for?

With the exception of the health care sector and one or two others, the golden age of graduating and going right into one's chosen field is over. The recent recession, coupled with the changing workforce, shrinking job availability, and lack of job stability on all levels from CEO's to hourly workers, has created a completely new playing field. Many are now finding that regardless of degrees, they have to start at lower, entry level positions and prove themselves in a variety of beginning positions/areas of their chosen field, with the idea that their degree will help propel them forward gradually, rather than granting them immediate access to an equivalent job simply by virtue of having obtained the degree.

Encourage him to stop waiting around for a job directly related to his degree and instead apply at places where the degree might be useful to a company in indirect ways, and beneficial to him, in the  future. Any job is a real job, and particularly if it keeps him moving in the direction he wants to go--you have to put yourself out there and keep active in the workforce, even if it's not what you went to college for.

There's a spotlight article on 3-4 successful,  professionals in our Sunday paper every week. They all hold interesting jobs. Almost none of them that I've ever read had their current jobs match up with their college degrees.

My personal opinion would be for your son to use this time to find a way to tie his degrees into the health care field. That is one industry that has almost infinite growth and is on the cusp of a huge boom in jobs due to all the baby boomers aging, the effects of which will surely last most of your son's lifetime.

PS--A good way to see how your son's degrees may tie in to the healthcare field is to research health/business on the Burea of Labor and Statistics site. They list hundreds, maybe thousands of jobs related to business administration.

hau_siyoka
(¯`v.´¸.´¸. (¯`v* ¸.´Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ.´¸.*¨) ¸.´¸.*¨) (¯`v(¸.´ Come join 40ish and beyond's ,)v´¯) (¸.Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ.•´Siggy Emporium•´ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ.• (¯`v(* http://www.cafemom.com/group/120085 *) v´¯) (¯`v ♥¸.Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ.•♥ *¨)
Today at 2:23 PM
by Doll Baby on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:02 PM

It time to take out the resume and draft  a new and fresher one spotlighting his career education and adding a Goal Intention always surprises a company who reads  them...Encourage him and never give up!!! There is a job out there with his name on it!!!

Welcome to the 40ish and Beyond family  and keep us posted....We can be the best cheerleaders around!!!!

Lovemyshadows
by Bronze sister on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I wish him the best of luck.  I would try large companies but I don't really know.

looneymom424
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:29 PM

My college was the same it took forever to find my first job and they didnt help...they expect you to have one when you leave go figure.  I would suggest Temp jobs as that is what I had to take...they work you for 6 months most of the time.

letstalk747
by Joy on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:57 PM

tough one , i wish him luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)