Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Call Back after my 1st Routine Mammogram

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:45 PM
  • 22 Replies
  • 330 Total Views

I have decided not to tell anyone in my family or any of my friends about this as to not cause any 'worry' - we have had a few close friends that have either been diagnosed with or passed away from breast cancer in the past 2 years.  (I am not worried but I have a feeling certain people in my life would worry unneccesarily.)

I have had Mammograms before but they were always for 'an issue'.  I had a surgical biopsy done when I was 26 (benign) and I had a cyst aspirated when I was 33.  Both times I had extensive Mammograms & Ultrasounds done.

I also had a Mammogram & Ultrasounds done in 2010 AND last year when I felt a knot - both turned out to be 'fatty tissue'.  All 4 instances were on my right breast.

This past Friday, I had my first 'routine Mammogram' since I turned 40 in February.  I was actually suprised at how quickly it went since my past Mammograms were so detailed.  I was told if the Dr saw something different from last year's Mammogram, I would get a call on Monday.  If she didn't, I would get a letter in the mail within 2-3 weeks.

Well, I got a call today.  My Mammogram is different than last year requiring me to come back on Wednesday for more images and an ultrasound.

I am guessing this is routine - better safe than sorry, right?  With my history, I am not really surprised but I was kinda hoping not to hear anything...for once.  LOL

The good news, there is no history of breast cancer in my family and I don't plan on starting that 'tradition' either.

Just wondering how many of you have had the 'call back'?

Thanks for 'listening'!

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrgetinold
by Gold sister on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Had a call back my first mammo too hon! It was while my mom was dying of cancer ( breast cancer in another state) i had to wait for my appt 14 days and i was goimg out of my mind with worry! Had a second mammo and a ultrasound and what they saw was a cyst! I cried the whole day and when after the tests i cried with relief! I hope all goes well for you, hon please let us know how you are doing even if your worried i m here and god knows i understand! Hugs
dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:54 PM

I had that call back and the lady ask me if I was going to cry or yell and I said no! I went for my call back and did the second mamo and then I was told I had to see a breast surgeon because I had to have places removed. I did and am on a stand by whenever these places come up (they said they are really not offically cyst so they are waiting for another one appear so they can test it better).

Good luck and keep us posted.. HUgs

ivf_blessed
by Sister on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Oh WOW - In your situation I would have been really worried too and I'm not sure I could have waited 14 days for the follow up appt.  I am so glad it was only a cyst for you but so very sorry to hear about your Mom.  Thanks for sharing your story.

Quoting mrgetinold:

Had a call back my first mammo too hon! It was while my mom was dying of cancer ( breast cancer in another state) i had to wait for my appt 14 days and i was goimg out of my mind with worry! Had a second mammo and a ultrasound and what they saw was a cyst! I cried the whole day and when after the tests i cried with relief! I hope all goes well for you, hon please let us know how you are doing even if your worried i m here and god knows i understand! Hugs

ivf_blessed
by Sister on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Oh my - that must be hard having to just wait and see.  I have had so many (non)issues with my breast that I am almost too blase about it.

Since they are waiting for another one to appear, are they checking you several times throughout the year?

Quoting dana63:

I had that call back and the lady ask me if I was going to cry or yell and I said no! I went for my call back and did the second mamo and then I was told I had to see a breast surgeon because I had to have places removed. I did and am on a stand by whenever these places come up (they said they are really not offically cyst so they are waiting for another one appear so they can test it better).

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Quoting ivf_blessed:

Oh my - that must be hard having to just wait and see.  I have had so many (non)issues with my breast that I am almost too blase about it.

Since they are waiting for another one to appear, are they checking you several times throughout the year?

Quoting dana63:

Truefully I am not bothered by it at all. I am on what they call a stand by which if I get one I am to call my doctor and request the operating room and tell them I have to have the first appt and they give me one and I will have it removed. I already had one removed and it wasnt so bad.

ivf_blessed
by Sister on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:17 PM

My surgical biopsy was not bad recovery wise - of course I was only 26 and I bounced back easy then.  Fast forward 14 years and after several laparoscopic surgeries to remove endometriosis, 3 egg retrievals and 2 c-sections, I am not bouncing back so easily after anesthesia these days.  LOL

I did end up with some bad scarring from the surgery as they ended up taking more tissue around it than they originally thought they would.  It was a scary wait though because they were so concerned but thankfully it was benign.  I'm guessing some of my issues since then could actually be scar tissue related since it's always on the same side.

That's great they can get you in so fast if you discover another one.  It's good to know that they can at least make it a priority just to rule out anything else.

Quoting dana63:

Quoting ivf_blessed:

Quoting dana63:

Truefully I am not bothered by it at all. I am on what they call a stand by which if I get one I am to call my doctor and request the operating room and tell them I have to have the first appt and they give me one and I will have it removed. I already had one removed and it wasnt so bad.

Lovemyshadows
by Bronze sister on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Double mastectomy.  Biopsy after my very first base line mammogram at 38.  

cuteoverload
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:47 AM

I had a scare one year when they thought they found something but ended up being she did the mamagram wrong.

BL2010
by Snookims on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Good luck.

I had a call back on the last the mammo I had. It turned out to be a shadow. But it's better to be safe then sorry.

pasteeater
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I've had the call back a few times.  It turned out as nothing.  I hope yours comes out ok too!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)