Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nurse refuses to preform CPR on elderly patient

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:50 PM
  • 42 Replies
  • 542 Total Views
1 mom liked this

I just saw this on the news and was terribly upset by it. The 911 call alone would upset any human. A 87 year old woman collapsed in the dining area and a nurse refused to preform CPR saying it was against the company policy. The 911 operator ask if there was anyone willing to preform CPR and she said they had to wait until medical personal came. The 911 operator begged her to go out and ask someone on the street and they refused. You can hear the 911 operator saying "they refusing to do CPR and the woman is dying" and you can tell by her voice that she was clearly upset.

I know that the elderly body is fragile and it could be risky to preform CPR but a nurse is suppose to save lives not watch them die regardless of policy. The daughter said she didnt hold the company liable but that was before she heard the 911 tape and now she is very upset.

Two questions:

one: if you were the nurse would you have tried to save her life no matter of policy but because this is a human life? Or do as this nurse did and wait for emergency personal who came to late?

two; if this was your family member how would you feel?

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:57 PM
2 moms liked this

I am a Medical Assistant. I took the hypocratic oath. That oath says: "to first do NO harm." I am not working right now, but if I were, I'd take that oath seriously. Yes, I would perform CPR. It's one thing if they have a DNR, which means do not rescuscitate. If it were my family member, any member of my family would not be put in a facility that has that kind of policy!! Human life is more important!! By not giving CPR, is hurting.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Mariagma3:

I am a Medical Assistant. I took the hypocratic oath. That oath says: "to first do NO harm." I am not working right now, but if I were, I'd take that oath seriously. Yes, I would perform CPR. It's one thing if they have a DNR, which menas do not rescuscitate. If it were my family member, any member of my family would not be put in a facility that has that kind of policy!!

She didn't have a DNR and they said that this is policy in many independent living homes. I agree I would never place a love one in a place that would not save their life if need be..

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this
At 87 she should have had a DNR. Many younger than her do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
almostthere55
by Sister on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I wonder if the patient and family arereally told that, when they sign that contract to live there.  I'm sure it's in the contract, but maybe it's not stressed very much as to not deter from people living there.  I for one would not stay there (or put a loved one there), if this was policy.  My grandmother was in a facility and it was spelled out that unless they had a DNR, every effort would be made by the staff to save a life.  Seems only natural to me.

sunflower37
by Lee Lee on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I heard the 911 recording on the news. This is awful something should be done.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:48 PM

I am not sure I could just stand there and watch another human die when I know I could do something to save them (or attempt to). I heard the 911 tapes and the nurse was calm and in my opinion showed no emotions, the 911 operator showed more emotions and was clearly very upset as she was pleding with this woman to please find someone anyone who would preform CPR on the woman.

I am sure if this is policy then it had to be told to the family but this would be one place my family would not be going to.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting sunflower37:

I heard the 911 recording on the news. This is awful something should be done.

I had tears in my eyes for the 911 operator who just wanted to save the woman's life and she felt helpless and alone at the attempt.

ivf_blessed
by Sister on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I was very upset when I heard the 911 call on the news this a.m.  I can't wrap my mind around the fact that a nurse refused to perform CPR due to 'company policy'.  If I was trained in CPR, I would perform it.  As far as being employed in a nursing home with that policy, I can only assume it is for elderly that have signed a DNR, then and only then would I not perform life saving measures (and I would hope these DNR folks were forced to wear some sort of DNR ID Bracelets).

As a human, I know I could not sit by and watch someone die without doing everything I could possibly do to try & help them.

I would definitely remove any family member from that facility and would make sure that was NOT a policy anywhere I might need to put a family member.

What is the point of living in one of these places, with nurses, if not for assistance when they are hurt or in danger?!

gonecrazi
by Lucky :) on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I would have done CPR..and I would be upset if this was my family..

looneymom424
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:21 PM

I tried working in one of those places.  Those people that work there have no heart the med techs were laughing and talking past med time.  The nurses barely did checks on the patients.  We had many die I think it was company policy there to not do anything either.  They just sent them in an ambulance or pronounced them dead with the ambulance.  I never heard of anyone trying to do anything.  Most of the staff was awful had worked there forever.  

I couldnt handle it I was too emtional for them.  How can you become that numb to people

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)