Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Ever heard of a" Christian Foster Home Program?"

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 4:52 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 146 Total Views
Hello everybody, i was just wondering what the post heading said....but its through my daughter's middle school.Its for kids who are disrespectful at home and at times out of control. They only stay for about 2 wks. My ex husband said he had been talking to our dd V.P. about it. That is why I'm asking here cause he never told me about it and I'm curious about it. And I will call the school and ask about it. Just wanted to know if any of you mom's have heard of this type of program? Thanks!
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 4:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Mar. 11, 2013 at 6:36 AM

I can't say that I have.. Is it a "scare"tacted for children to see what it is like to be in foster care?

Shari55
by Nanny on Mar. 11, 2013 at 8:03 AM

I also have never heard of the program, and I personally would seriously check any program out that is only about two weeks to "straighten" a child's attitude out.

NewMom11222011
by Bronze sister on Mar. 11, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Sounds a bit like a reality tv show I've seen that I think's called "World's Strictest Parents" but the kids come from farther away and only stay a week.  It's kind of like boot camp to show kids what a "functional" family looks like.

Mama2Spencerninja

BL2010
by BL on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Sorry, I never heard of this. Definitely get in touch with the school and see what's going on.

Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I have heard of one that my bff sent her stepson to. It was in Indiana. It was okay, basically homeschooling, with bible based leanings.

majesticfairy
by New sister on Mar. 11, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Thanks to all that replied. I will def look into it.

STVUstudent
by Sister on Mar. 11, 2013 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I have heard of these types of programs... they are "scared straight" type programs basically designed to emotionally beat the kid into submission.  They are used for a variety of "behavioral" problems, to include truancy, sassiness, promiscuity and homosexuality...

Keep in mind- if you send your kid to one of these programs, you may get more than you bargained for... you are essentially handing your kid over to someone else to have "values" and "morals" and "behavioral expectations" instilled upon them.  If your kid is having discipline problems, have you considered therapy?  These extremist programs REALLY scare me...

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:13 PM
2 moms liked this

I have never heard of it, but my experience with out of control and disrespectful children is that there is something within the family dynamic that needs to change. Putting it all on the kid doesn't work.

Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:29 PM

I would like to add: I do NOT like or approve of wilderness camps/schools. I feel they just add fuel to the fire.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)