Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Empty nest syndrome

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 7:43 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 158 Total Views

How do you get through empty nest syndrome? Lately I have had the urge to have a baby in the house. Dh says I have empty nest sydrome,because my boys are 11 and 16 and don't need me as much. I even thought about getting a puppy,but we have a dog that is spoiled rotten. Help...

by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 7:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Mar. 13, 2013 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Find a hobby. Something that is just for you... Set aside a small amount of time each day for that. And by all means, take time to cry... No reason, just cry! It has always worked for me.

cuteoverload
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Spend time with me, not married, no pets or animals in the house, but hey it's peaceful and no fighting.  LOL

Seashell77
by Bronze sister on Mar. 13, 2013 at 7:54 PM

You are not experiencing empty nest syndrome. That's when your kids reach adulthood and move out of the next. It's a hard phase in parenthood though when your kids are maturing and don't need you for as many things. I feel for you and know what it's like. 

starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Mar. 13, 2013 at 10:52 PM

hugs!! I agree find a hobby or get involved with a group of sometime.

Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Mar. 14, 2013 at 12:50 AM
1 mom liked this

IDK what to tell you! You truly are NOT experiencing empty nest, yet. Get more involved with whatever is going on in your son's lives. Trust me, you will miss it if you don't. Some people spend alot of time together, others not so much. Some people enjoy their hobbies, or whatever they have going on. Don't stress about empty nest right now. Don't borrow trouble! Just enjoy the here and now of your kids.

MomTiara19
by Sister on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:33 AM
1 mom liked this

When my youngest turned 10....I started to get that same feeling....lol...

I embraced the feeling and realized that ....that phase in motherhood was done.Contemplated having another child...decided I was done and my family complete.

I started celebrating a little more freedom,starting doing things I hadnt done for myself in years and enjoyed.I also soon realized my kids still need mom....will always need me.....just not in the same way.

Momhood is never done....grow with them and enjoy the ride:)

cjcharlie1959
by Dungeon Queen on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Some some activities that make you happy.  Get involved in some community service, church or a hobby.  If you sons are into sports or academia clubs volunteer.  Schools are always looking for help and will keep you connected to your sons.  If not, do something for Y O U!!

marney.p
by Bronze sister on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Enjoy walking out of the house. With a passing Im going now there is food in the fridge to make your selves sandwiches for dinner. See ya in a couple of hours. Cant do that with small kids. I loved that feeling of freedom. Go out for a coffee or to the shops or movies. etc

tnlagirl
by Sister on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I consider empty nest syndrome as the time when your kids go off to college or move out to be on their own or  get married.  You defintely have not reached that yet.  There are plenty of opportunities out there.  Find something you love to do - read, go visit friends, volunteer, play cards, etc.  There is life after they are all gone and I am enjoying it.  I do get to see my grandson 2-3 times a week, but I spend time playing canasta once a week, having lunch with a friend, reading, cooking, etc.  Life is more relaxing.  Look forward to it.

kryptomom
by Bronze sister on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Find some one to help - volunteering, needy neighbor, read to kids, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN