Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

standardized parental help!

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:11 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 229 Total Views
1 mom liked this
Just got back from science fair for my ds s school its a k-8 school, and my ds was proud to show off his tri fold board and his thing on what method pops popcorn better, then i went to see the other kids displays! Omg! Some looked like college level things! One was all wood, varnished and pvc piped another was from a drs kid who had his dads skelton from his office and brought in a portable heart defibulator! Did i mention my kid had popcorn and worked hard the last two weeks to get his stuff done ready and was so proud ( on the way out he starts telling me his plans for next yr and if we knoe anyone who is a dr) i think there should be limits or have them do their projects at school so its the kids doing them not the parents ( one kid hid mom a ceo and" his " project looked like it was outsourced ( he didnt even know what everything was on it and he was a 4th grader) i just think its sad, yep i want my ds to do well, and he did, he worked hard and i did what aparent should do i got him his board,ink for the computer, seeds and helped haul the thing into school! Hugs for all of you listeninga, thank you! Proud mom of the kid with popcorn!
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Roo1234
by Sister on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:20 PM
4 moms liked this
when my daughter had a project like this the parents had to attend a meeting where we were warned that the teachers would know what was done by a parent and what was done by the student and would grade accordingly.
it was impressive to walk through the final event and gear the kids talking about their projects. each was appropriately knowledgeable.

kids who do their own work have greater self esteem
missvickey
by Bronze sister on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:29 PM
2 moms liked this

Congratulations to your son. He's a winner in my book.

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I totally agree with you. What is the best method of popping popcorn?

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:01 PM
3 moms liked this

You have every right to be proud as does your son. He did what was SUPPOSED to be done. I went through that with mine as well. Just make sure he knows his was done appropriately and he doesn't need anything extravigant (sp?) next year. He needs to do what his level allows him to understand and explain. I agree that these things should be done at school so ALL kids have the same skill lvel per grade. I ALWAYS HATED when we walked through and the parents obviously did the work, but those exhibits got the awards. SO NOT FAIR to the children that actually work hard to comprehend what they are doing...

Well, I guess I had a lot to say about his... LOL... Just have very little patience for these types of parents...

This is for you son!!!

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this
My dd did hers in 5th grade testing litmus paper. To me that is real science. She won her grade. Others did things to me were not science related. 3 blind judges, she got 1 point off. She did it herself. If he did it all himself be proud and praise him. Kids in my dd's grade said things I heard like "she wins everything". Well she put hours and hours and hours into it for 6 weeks. Some slapped it together fast.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:29 PM

kudos to your kiddo

jmlmomma
by Momma's new BFF on Mar. 15, 2013 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

CONGRATS to your son... He should be very proud for doing it on his own and doing it well

Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Congrats to your son! Sounds like he did great!!! The child whose Dad is a doctor was probably just going by what the parents thought might work best. The skeleton and difibrilator ARE science, but the child didn't work on them, just brought them in.

michellejenner
by Bronze sister on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Good for you and your son. It's like this everywhere tho. Parents are worse than the kids.

Michelle Jenner
Independent Avon Representative
www.youravon.com/michellejenner
Use code FIRSTREP10 for free shipping when you use the direct delivery option 

Start your own AVON business for $10

www.start.avon.com

Reference code michellejenner

RubyQ
by Gold sister on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Teaching kids predetermined facts in arithmetic, history, science and english  is only a small part of education; it's more important purpose is to teach kids to think and learn without any help. Kids who can do that, on any level, are the real winners of these project fairs. 

Parents who want to relive their school experience through their children by inserting themselves into their kids' work are ultimately robbing their children of necessary life lessons for them to succeed independently in life.

clapping Congratulations to your son for getting a well rounded education! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)