Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

texas law on dating ?

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:08 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 191 Total Views
does anyone from texas know the law on a 17 yr old male dating a 15 yr old female is???? i'm scared for my ds and need prayers!!!
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Danyell9301
by Sister on Mar. 17, 2013 at 5:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I think they are both still minors. I will be praying for y'all. 

From the Texas statute: Age of consent for sex is 17, but there is an affirmative defense for someone having sex with someone under the age of consent if that person is not more than 3 years older, did not coerce/force/threaten the person to have sexual contact, and is not a convicted and/or registered sex offender.

Sec. 21.11. INDECENCY WITH A CHILD. (a) A person commits an offense if, with a child younger than 17 years and not the person's spouse, whether the child is of the same or opposite sex, the person:

(1) engages in sexual contact with the child or causes the child to engage in sexual contact; or

(2) with intent to arouse or gratify the sexual desire of any person:

(A) exposes the person's anus or any part of the person's genitals, knowing the child is present; or

(B) causes the child to expose the child's anus or any part of the child's genitals.

(b) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this section that the actor:

(1) was not more than three years older than the victim and of the opposite sex;

(2) did not use duress, force, or a threat against the victim at the time of the offense; and

(3) at the time of the offense:

(A) was not required under Chapter 62, Code of Criminal Procedure, to register for life as a sex offender; or

(B) was not a person who under Chapter 62 had a reportable conviction or adjudication for an offense under this section.

Source(s):

Criminal Defense attorney: Texas
Danyell9301
by Sister on Mar. 17, 2013 at 5:36 AM

hope that helps.

GOBryan
by Bronze sister on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Try to have a nice talk with your son about sex with a girl that young. He's almost 18 and needs to understand that if things go bad between them, all she generally has to do is say he raped her. No proof necessary and dating isn't a validation of consent for sex. 

kandie63
by New sister on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:51 AM
I think as long as there's only a 3 year difference its ok. When will she be 16?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Here in TX if the child is 17 and half they are considered adults and dating a 15 year old could put him at risk. My DD was 17 and half dating a guy older and the police said that as long as she is that half mark their hands were tied.  Good luck and please explain how terribe it can be if he does have sex with this young girl.

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:35 AM
You allow this?? Its not up to the law. You are the parent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rojastarr
by Fang Slayer on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:14 AM

It is a very scary situation....young men can get in a lot of trouble....I would tell him to run just to protect him.She is probably a very nice girl but it is a whole different world out there and all it would take is for her to get mad at him and he could be in a world of trouble.

starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:00 PM

you need to print the info out, have them sit down with you and maybe all the parents and discuss this so that they know, you know.... but 15/17 is with in the range.

cacountryangel
by Bronze sister on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:54 PM
thanks guys.....girlfriend is turning 15 yr old next month. my son just turned 17 yrs old this past week. yall were alot of help and so was my both of my son in laws!!! my ds and girlfriend are both doing partying stuff they shouldn't be doing.... God help us!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN