Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Any pointers/tips on buying a used new car?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:59 AM
  • 17 Replies
  • 247 Total Views

My husband's car has over 300,000 miles on it and it's time to let it go; I think it's a 2005 (Chevy Malibu).  He drives over 100 miles a day to and from work, so he's obviously looking for something safe and gets good gas mileage.  

TIA:o)

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Alwaysmotivated
by Loving Life on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:03 AM

I started to say buying a new car, you loose so much value initially but it all changed when I say the amount of miles he drives in a day.. Wow! I have gotten all my vehicles from Car Maxx and have had very good experiences.. Not new, but with about 10,000 miles on it at great prices... So you may just want to put on your list unless you are totally against used cars.. Its always fun shopping around I think, so enjoy and good luck..

Alwaysmotivated
by Loving Life on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I didn't answer the question did I.. My hubby has a Ford F150 and says it runs great on gas and mileage..

elm498
by Gold sister on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:09 AM

The car he has was a brand new car, and it has help up well.  The most money we've spent on it is for tires and brakes.  I kind of wonder too if it's best to get another brand new car, for warranty purposes.  There are days he has to go back into work, so he may drive over 200 miles in a day.  I thought truck were kind of gas guzzlers.

Quoting Alwaysmotivated:

I started to say buying a new car, you loose so much value initially but it all changed when I say the amount of miles he drives in a day.. Wow! I have gotten all my vehicles from Car Maxx and have had very good experiences.. Not new, but with about 10,000 miles on it at great prices... So you may just want to put on your list unless you are totally against used cars.. Its always fun shopping around I think, so enjoy and good luck..

Alwaysmotivated
by Loving Life on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Yeah, I think for all the miles he drives new might be better, but still don't rule out Car Max, I'm telling you great deals..(but just my experience as well)  No, the hubby said good mileage but I suppose you might have to do a poll on that one, lol..

Quoting elm498:

The car he has was a brand new car, and it has help up well.  The most money we've spent on it is for tires and brakes.  I kind of wonder too if it's best to get another brand new car, for warranty purposes.  There are days he has to go back into work, so he may drive over 200 miles in a day.  I thought truck were kind of gas guzzlers.

Quoting Alwaysmotivated:

GoddessJohnnie
by Goddess Johnnie on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Here's my 2 cents - if he does that much driving, you might want to consider getting another new vehicle.  Newer cars don't need as much maintanence - like oil changes every 10,000 miles instead of every 3thousand like many older cars.  And many dealerships offer free maintance for a year or two.  

I also think that anyone who drives that much should have a car that fits them perfectly.  Why get a used car that's pretty good when you can have a new car with all the options and things you want to make your drive as comfortable as possible?  My husband travels extensively and has a car that is roomy, good on mileage, has XM radio, heated seats, and a couple of other perks that make his long days on the road bearable.  

starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

here's a pointer when buying... go at the end of the month...If a dealership has not done well all month they are more apt. to give you a deal to sell it.  Also Jan. is good cause they wanna get rid of last year's stock fast... we got a great deal on our van/truck doing this.

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Check interest rates. you may spend more on an older car than a new one in the long run...

elm498
by Gold sister on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:11 AM

What type of car does he have?  Thanks for your input!!!

Quoting GoddessJohnnie:

Here's my 2 cents - if he does that much driving, you might want to consider getting another new vehicle.  Newer cars don't need as much maintanence - like oil changes every 10,000 miles instead of every 3thousand like many older cars.  And many dealerships offer free maintance for a year or two.  

I also think that anyone who drives that much should have a car that fits them perfectly.  Why get a used car that's pretty good when you can have a new car with all the options and things you want to make your drive as comfortable as possible?  My husband travels extensively and has a car that is roomy, good on mileage, has XM radio, heated seats, and a couple of other perks that make his long days on the road bearable.  

elm498
by Gold sister on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:06 PM

bump

wildlilacs
by Bronze sister on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:24 PM
2 moms liked this
Get a pre buy inspection from shop/mechanic independent of lot or dealership or owner.
My SO a manager of a shop, so many people come in, say fix it enough to get it sold. Then who ever buys it, finds out car has problems, several weeks/months down the road.
Put it up on the rack and have it checked out thouroughly.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)