Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Debate question: 3/29

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:24 AM
  • 14 Replies
  • 204 Total Views
1 mom liked this

I thought this was very interesting and thought I would ask your opinion. 

If you are on any social site and you bash your boss or even for that matter your employment and your employer finds out and fires you should this be legal? 

They were saying that even if you go in a private site and your setting are at private that if you bash your employer and employment that the boss can now see this through a new employment app and could fire the individual. I would think this is invasion on one privacy. 

Thoughts??

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crazymom729
by Cajun Witch (dealer) on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:37 AM
3 moms liked this
It's a very fine line now a days. I personally don' t think it should be legal, but then again if you are dumb enough to spout off on a social networking site then pay up if you get caught. Discretion, discretion, discretion.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:46 AM
4 moms liked this

Personally would never bash my place of employment on any social site. I would however vent to my family because I know it would remain with them. I agree that discretion is a must if a person need to vent. 

maryg38
by Sweet Mary <3 on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:59 AM
No I don't think it should be legal.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BL2010
by BL on Mar. 29, 2013 at 8:02 AM

I don't think it should be legal. But then again, anyone that is stupid enough to post things on a computer that is not flattering is crazy.

Bleacheddecay
by Gold Sister -lp on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:21 PM
2 moms liked this

I think if you don't watch what you say about many things including work and your boss, you are very unwise.

ashleighmama
by Ash on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:34 PM

No, I don't think this should be legal. I say it's an invasion of privacy. I think you're kinda dumb if you bash your boss or workplace in a public forum, but if it's private? We're all entitled to our opinions. So, in private, it should STAY private.

doodlepuss
by Platinum sister on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:40 PM

What happened to free speech?  Of course, if you did bash and they found out...they would find some other reason to can you. So.....the lesson is just don't do it, period.  There is no such thing as a private site.

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Personally, I don't believe there is any such thing as privacy on the internet... If you don't want the world to know your business, don't post it on FB (aka, the Jerry Springer Social Network). I think that bashing a boss/company on social media is a bad reflection on the company and should not be tolerated. Not sure if firing should be the first choice. Maybe a write up for the first offense.

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I would never give an employer access to a social networking site I use, and I use my married name, rather than my legal maiden name, so it would be harder to find me. However, since we are typically at will employees, I think it is within their right to fire an employee who is publicly bashing them. The negative PR would be unacceptable to me as an employer and cause to terminate someone.

cuteoverload
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I think people should be careful what they put on the internet about their job or anything that can hurt someone's reputation.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)