Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

DEbate question

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 2:12 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 282 Total Views

Not sure what happen to my first post...

I read this article about two boys 5th graders who plan to kill and rape a girl and had a list of 6 others they wanted to kill. These boys plan had failed when someone spotted the knife one had in their backpack and then they said they plan revenge on the one who reported it. How do 10 and 11 year old children know about rape? How can these boys be so mad that they wanted to take lives and not have a care in the world about it? Most important where are the parents and how did the older brother have a gun and it was within reach to where this child could get it? I want to add these boys could get only 100 plus days in juvie and then they will get out and my fear is they will finish what they started.

My mind is just spinning on our future and that kids are getting younger with crimes they commit and yet everyone is concern about gun control yet no one has come up with a plan to keep these guns away from CHILDREN who want to kill because of either the thrill or anger.

by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 2:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Mar. 31, 2013 at 2:20 PM
2 moms liked this

Movies and games teaching it to them and parents NOT teaching against it...

mind you I am not blaming movies and games. My son plays gruesome games. But we have ALWAYS taught our children respect and right from wrong... Parents MUST be proactive in today's society...

cuteoverload
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Children learn what they live.  All behavior is learned.

hau_siyoka
Sophia curly bangs lol
Yesterday at 11:23 PM
by Doll Baby on Mar. 31, 2013 at 2:44 PM
2 moms liked this

Momma....This is one of the reasons I dedicate myself to 40ish and Beyond so we can be a Life Line....The process of re-training parents is harder than getting to the kids...If some parents follow through with consequences for bad behavior there wouldn't be this generation X....

In some homes it takes both parents to work to run a home, I managed to work while S/O was watching the kids and when he worked I would have the children....Today some kids as young as 8 or 9 are staying home alone until a parent gets home from work...

What you allow the children to watch on tv is another on going influence that keeps me here...I can read the news throughout the day but the children see these things and their minds process things differently than an adult...They need to be taught and nurtured but the whole 'having a family' issue needs to be well discussed between the two parents before they take on the responsibility.

Back to basics one person at a time...We have so much dysfunction within some family units someone needs to take the reins and pull back and get everyone on the right path.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Mar. 31, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I raised 4 kids in a techno world and never did any of my kids (and this includes my mental health one) ever say they wanted to kill or rape anyone. I know behavior is learn and it is a shame that children of our future depends on a video game or violence. I hate to think my future generation might have to go back to the days of the wild west...

childofGod995
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Kids also watch the news and read the papers.

firelites
by Anne on Mar. 31, 2013 at 4:00 PM

it's the ones with lack of parental guidance and the ones that rebel against to much micromanagement from their parents, you have to find a happy medium, no easy trick with the desensitizing exposure they get these days

SeanandNoahsmom
by Manning Fan on Mar. 31, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I was shocked that such young children could be so disturbed....and formulate this atrocity, believing it IS okay. I believe much of the "blame" could be traced back to the kind of upbringing they've had; but, I just cant wrap my mind around the whole thing....

Dawn
rockie01
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Well, well, let's see. It's a fact that there are more single moms raising children. Fathers are less present in their children's lives. Many children are exposed to hours and hours of violent movies, and video games. In addition, there are many children who grow up in dysfunctional and toxic families. I have a background in early childhood education, and it is really sad what I see from my end. Yet, at the end of the day; the children go home to their games and movies. I would suggest we all throw away our televisions, and read to our children more, encourage more outside play and enjoyment in nature itself. But hey, it's a dream I have. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 31, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Too bad they will not be tried as adults. They knew what they are doing and it was all planned out. The kids are to blame.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Quoting dana63:

I raised 4 kids in a techno world and never did any of my kids (and this includes my mental health one) ever say they wanted to kill or rape anyone. I know behavior is learn and it is a shame that children of our future depends on a video game or violence. I hate to think my future generation might have to go back to the days of the wild west...

Dana- I completely agree with you. And we both each have a child with a mental illness. They turned out fine, and never resorted to such things, nor will!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)