Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Not sure what happen to my first post...

I read this article about two boys 5th graders who plan to kill and rape a girl and had a list of 6 others they wanted to kill. These boys plan had failed when someone spotted the knife one had in their backpack and then they said they plan revenge on the one who reported it. How do 10 and 11 year old children know about rape? How can these boys be so mad that they wanted to take lives and not have a care in the world about it? Most important where are the parents and how did the older brother have a gun and it was within reach to where this child could get it? I want to add these boys could get only 100 plus days in juvie and then they will get out and my fear is they will finish what they started.

My mind is just spinning on our future and that kids are getting younger with crimes they commit and yet everyone is concern about gun control yet no one has come up with a plan to keep these guns away from CHILDREN who want to kill because of either the thrill or anger.

by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 2:12 PM
Replies (11-15):
mrgetinold
by Gold sister on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:56 PM
It makes me so sad when i read things like these, and hopless for what is to become of us all! I watched a thing on tv on the guy ( i think i d call him a kid) they said he did it for the notarity ( well he is dead now) the sandy hook shootings! And he spent hours on video games ( most that my ds isnt allowed to play but his friends do) this kids mom was afraid of leaving him! The kid here who took a 10 yr old on her way to school he did it to see if he could and get away with it!
I just shake my head, i try to be a good mom ( yes i make mistakes ( omg do i) but i hope when i turn on the news i dont ever have to hear of a sandy hook, another Jessica Ridgeway! My heart aches!
starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I think kids today are desensitized.  They are overloaded with so much stuff that is demoralizing and with young ones so are the parents. 

When we were young (40 and over) most of us went to church, Sunday school, had real punishment given at school and had a healthy fear of our parents and RESPECTED life and authority.  Yes, bad things happened but there was usually an underlining problem with the person, whatever it was, and us as kids didn't want to be like them.  These days it seems like they glorify those that misbehave to a point that kids want to be like them for whatever reason... 

I feel like I have sheltered my poor sweetpea out of fear of these types and that in itself may hurt her... In the end...we just can't "win"...sad....

MsMimna
by Sister on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:07 AM

I do NOT believe a child at 10-11 years old fully understands the consequences of their actions. Their brain still isn't even developed yet, so how can they completely grasp everything ? Yes...they play violent games, yes, they see way more then they should. Some kids are pushed in situations no child should ever be put in. But that doesn't mean they get it. 

Parents, schools, grandparents we are all to blame.....we need to Talk To our kids, not At them. Get Involved....know who their friends are, check what they are doing on the computer, put blocks where needed. Spend more time with them.....it's up to us!

suetoo
by Sister on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Children learn what they live.

connietrrll
by Silver sister on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I think a lot has to do with society in general. I have 2 older children that would never think of doing any such thing.

However my youngest was 10 when he threatened to shoot someone in school. He was suspended from school for 1 week, and of course we punished him at home. However it is not something that we ever talked about at home. Not wording that we would use at all. Yet he picked it up somewhere. Now let me say that just the day before I was at the school complaing about the kid that he threatened.(which is why he was given a week suspension) The kid had just said to my son that one his parents would come to pick him up and he would not be there. That we would find his body floating in the creek behind the school, That kid was not punished, because that was not a direct threat. He was always hitting my son. He took stuff out my sons backpack. My son had a signed baseball, that he took in for something like show and tell. This kid took it out side and threw it in the creek. All the incidents went on and on. Everytime they were reported and everytime his parents came up with some excuse for his behavior.

We did not even have guns at the time, except bebe guns. My son just blurted it out because he had heard other kids say it. He had never even shot a gun. I accidentally ran over a squirrel and he cried for a day. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)