Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This really irks me; When teachers give candy to students.

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:49 AM
  • 17 Replies
  • 411 Total Views
1 mom liked this

Diabetes and obesity are a huge obstacle in my family. One sister just died from complications of diabetes. I learned not to be over-indulgent with sweets in my own household with my children. I could not stand it when they would come home with candy given to them by their teachers! I do not use candy as a tool for children to learn or as a reward, I think we're setting kids up for real nutritional havoc when we do that. What do you think?

I guess it really depends on the school system and the parents working together. I do not like someone bribing or rewarding my kid with candy. It's not so bad when they are in elementary, but in middle school, that's at least 5 teachers and they hand out without any conscience. I watched my sister suffer for 15 years, and when she was in the hospital many-many times her diet was loaded with sugars because the kitchen staff didn't "read" that she was a diabetic. Maybe I am over-reacting, but it's also the principle, if I ask a teacher to not give my child candy, then I expect he/she respect that. In the schools I've been in, they are given way too much candy as a reward, and the majority of the children are already obese when they start school. Some bring ho-hos and junk for lunch! 

On another note, my youngest of 5, now 25 called me up one day and said: Mom, thank you! I asked "for what"? and he said for helping me make good food choices and not letting me get fat. As I said, obesity is an issue in our family, thank God; my kids have carried good eating habits with them as they went out on their own. It's a challenge to sit with young(under 30) family members who struggle to breathe, walk, and have to ask you to get things for them. Yet, they are feeling just fine when it's time to eat. 

I like the trinket/treasure idea. But all input is good. Thanks!

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nova.mommy
by Sister on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Eventhough diabetes runs in the family(DH and his father both have Type 2), no one has died from it(FIL will turn 80 this month), as long as the teacher moderates the handing out of candy I don't mind.  My DD(DS is not in school yet) has a treat/treasure box that one child(that has done something really good) may get one thing out of.  It is about half and half party treat bag stuff(plastic bead necklaces, plastic play rings, etc) and small candies(tootsie rool midgees, bite size candy bars-1"x1" size, an individaully wrapped lifesavor, etc).

As long as it is in moderation, it doesn't bother me.  If he/she gave out a baggy full of candy, I would have an issue.  Not just because of the diabetes in the family but I don't let my kids have that much sugar at one time.

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I think a small amount of candy is fine, occassionally. I don't think any of my children's teachers ever gave out enough candy to be the culprit in their dietary issues. It's one thing if the teacher is giving out something that your child absolutely can't have for health issues, but if they aren't doing that then being annoyed by this is kind of like pole vaulting mouse turds. You could always make the suggestion they give out some type of pen/pencil/eraser that is kind of benign in lieu of candy.

crazymom729
by Cajun Witch (dealer) on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this
If its a true health hazard to the child then no it needs to be some other trinket. But a few pieces of candy every now and then aren't the true issue behind children's weight issues.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mom2MikeynLando
by Sister on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Everything in moderation.  I believe we need to teach our kids that everything is fine in moderation.  I also believe that not allowing a child to have a great on occasion will make them rebel when they can make their own food choices.  

My kids get dessert once a week of something like ice cream.  When we go to parties or celebrations, they are more inclined to choose the fruit or the vegetable over potato chips.  They ask for water instead of soda or juice.   If a child learns healthy habits from the start, a piece or so of candy won't matter.

EvaTheDiva29
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:33 AM

my ds's school teachers used to bribe him with candy to get on the bus. then when he got onthe bus, the driver had to take it...they can't eat on the busses here, and he woiuld have a melt down. it got so bad that one of the moniters threatened to quit. i told school they would have serious problems if it happened again. 

mjande4
by Sister on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this
You are over reacting. A few pieces of candy occasionally does NOT equal obesity or health problems. Actually forbidding it altogether can lead to a child who is unable to make good food choices and then gorges when given the chance.
dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:24 AM
2 moms liked this

My childs teacher has a treasure box and she alows them something from the box once a week if they gotten 5 green marks, each day they get a sticker if they are good. My child can only have candy when I give it to her and our school system dont allow teachers to give it as a treat unless its a party.

I think a piece of candy as a treat is ok but when you give the bag to the child and allow them to eat it all is being extreme.

rockie01
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Yes, every now and then is the part I'm most concerned with. I am the one to decide when that "now and then" is. Not the teacher. She doesn't know if my kids have been at a party and had their sweets for the week. No, no, no, I say when and how much. They had to have water with their meals instead of soda too, unless it's breakfast juice is fine, see there's so much sugar in everything else out there. It's a true phobia I know.

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:00 AM
A small amount is not the reason for obesity or diabetes. Excess food and sugary drinks and sedentary life are the reasons.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BL2010
by BL on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Ok, I can agree with what people are saying, but..... And you knew that was coming.... If the OP doesn't want her kids to have candy and she has told the teacher this then the teachers need to abide by that. Also, not to put all the blame on the teachers and depending on how old the children are, they, the children should say no they don't want/can't have it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)