Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Debate question 4/4

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:27 AM
  • 12 Replies
  • 227 Total Views
1 mom liked this

They are saying that the president will give up $20,000 a year of his $400,000 a year salary and so will a few of Congress and others might follow. 

Do you think this is the first step to placing money back into the economy? 

Ladies this is NOT a bash against the President or any elected officials. Please be respectful and give your opinion. 

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rosiemendo
by Silver sister on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not sure about this step making a huge impact on the economy; however, I think it is a good step in leadership.  The President should lead by example.  I am Catholic and our priest always reminds us that he wouldn't ask his congregation to do anything that he wouldn't, and he lives up to that.  As a result, we have very active parishioners.  By doing this, hopefully, a whole lot of members of President Obama's staff, as well as Congressional leaders will follow suit.  Collectively, this should help our economy or at least point it in the right direction.  Of course use of this money will be the ultimate determinent.

TableforSeven
by Bronze sister on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:42 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't see the big deal with the Pres lowering his salary while in office. It isn't like he pays for much, if anything, during his presidential term. Now - if he cuts his lifelong salary - it might mean something in my eyes...especially if he would take a REAL paycut -- $20,000 from $400,000 isn't a big deal.

starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:50 AM

this early all I can think to say is it's a start...

BL2010
by Just Me on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I think all the politicans should give back some of what they make.

coolmommy2x
by Silver sister on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:48 AM
I think it shows leadership and goodwill to all who do it but I don't think it's going to help the economy. Remember in 2006 (I think it was 2006) when Pres Bush sent everyone stimulus checks to try to jumpstart the economy? Home Depot ran ads to spend your stimulus check there...and everyone pocketed the money and paid bills and it didn't help the economy as planned.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:00 AM

If this is true, it's a big start!

GoddessJohnnie
by Goddess Johnnie on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I agree!  I think they all make too much and they do work for us, so they should be willing to give some of it back to us!

Will it make a big impact?  Fiscally, I don't think so.  But I think it will have an impact of the feelings of the American people and the constituents of the congresspeople/senators that actually do give some back.

Quoting BL2010:

I think all the politicans should give back some of what they make.

Goddess Johnnie 

wishbearmom
by Ruby sister on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:31 AM

It may not make a huge economic impact, but it definitely would be a goodwill gesture. So many of our citizens have taken pay cuts for the privilege of keeping their jobs. The President would not feel the same pain that they feel; in fact, he'd likely not even notice. However, the people WOULD take notice if he were to make the slightest attempt to put himself in their shoes.  What I would really like to see, though, is the President and his family bearing the full impact of the new health care plan, standing in line, paying out of pocket!

mrgetinold
by Gold sister on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:03 AM
2 moms liked this
Well of course our president can afford to do this as can our congress too, its a nice idea! First how will that $ be used! Will there be a big news conference of him writing out a check? And then have a republican rebuttel and then the congress writing their cks out?what id like to know is it a publicity stunt? Will this money bring jobs to america? Nice idea though
RosesReally
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:13 AM

We will have to sit back and wait.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)