Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

church people came to my door...

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:56 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 381 Total Views

Yesterday I was in my house and got a knock on the door. Two young church ladies (Jehovah's, I assume) were on the landing, and gave me the usual Watchtower literature.

The one speaking said to me, "I noticed you had children because of the toys..." and handed me parenting literature pertaining to their church. Ok, yes there are toys outside.

Then she said, "I saw them playing outside earlier".

OK, that creeped me out because they were outside playing 3 hours prior, before lunch and quiet time!

So my husband was outside at that time with the kids and I asked him: "they must've been next door earlier, huh?"

And he said, "No, they were parked along the road at the edge of the driveway in a such-and-such car."

So....wtf? If they were at another house, or live nearby, that would make sense.

In our old neighborhood i've seen them park at a spot and then walk around...but where they were parked here they would have been to the neighbors house where my husband said he didn't see them. He just saw them in the car.

Does this smack anyone with a touch of creepiness? Oh, I suppose they meant nothing...but it's kind of a weird thing to say on the girl's part...

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
firelites
by Anne on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:10 PM

thats creepy, I would have told them to get out of my yard and do not come back

hau_siyoka
by Wanda - Indian Girl on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry you are going through this....most missionaries that go out to the community are members of a parish that serves your area and I've seen them come and park and watch before they get down...It helps them profile the home and if there is anyone there to listen to their message...Get a sign and make sure to add 'any religious organization included'

No soliciting of any kind and if they don't respect your sign you can call the cops and have them removed....Look in your area for the closest church and let the pastor know Its NOT acceptable and to place your address on the stay away list.

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Too creepy.... I'd have probably asked her what she was doing watching my house...

jmlmomma
by Momma's new BFF on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:27 PM

I've had them "park" across the street from our house before also... I will just tell them I'm not interested and close the door before they speak... or I just don't open the door...last time I did not feel like going to the door and they kept looking in through my side window at the door..and my daughter (24) said "they are looking in at me" and was uncomfortable with them... I told her to wave but she wouldn't..haha

jazzgirl205
by Sister on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I feel sorry for missionaries that go from door to door and I usually ask them in for tea or a cookie.  Lately, though, their practices have me concerned.  For example, if they find out I am Catholic, one of them will say that they used to be Catholic.  As the conversation continues, it becomes quite evident that they know nothing about Catholicism.  Once I just said,  "You were never a Catholic.  I don't appreciate you lying to me."  I wonder what's going on. 

wishbearmom
by Sue on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:47 PM

That is creepy! It makes me wonder what my house says about me - and how careful I NEED to be about what I leave lying around!

GoddessJohnnie
by Goddess Johnnie on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Uh, yeah, that seems a little creeper to me!  

crazymom729
by Cajun Witch (dealer) on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I'm Catholic also and when they come to my door I politely tell them I'll be more then happy to listen about their religion if they are willing to listen about mine first.  I haven't ever had any takers on that offer..LOL

Quoting jazzgirl205:

I feel sorry for missionaries that go from door to door and I usually ask them in for tea or a cookie.  Lately, though, their practices have me concerned.  For example, if they find out I am Catholic, one of them will say that they used to be Catholic.  As the conversation continues, it becomes quite evident that they know nothing about Catholicism.  Once I just said,  "You were never a Catholic.  I don't appreciate you lying to me."  I wonder what's going on. 

crazymom729
by Cajun Witch (dealer) on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Yes that is sorta creepy.

may8675309
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:09 PM
I am pagan and told the woman so once and she questioned me about my beliefs and read me scriptures! I guess she though she could "heal me of my heathen ways" or some such nonsense. We really get zealots in my neighborhood.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)