Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Fertilizer Plant explodes in N.Texas...OMG

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:21 PM
  • 22 Replies
  • 466 Total Views

They say so far it wasn't on purpose but they have to wait till all the fires are out to make sure..

Explosion Rocks Fertilizer Plant During Fire

An explosion has been reported at a fertilizer plant that is on fire in the town of West in McLennan County on Wednesday night.

A fire at the plant in the 300 block of Haven Street was reported shortly after 7 p.m.

Sources tell NBC 5 that the explosion occurred while firefighters were at the plant on a fire call.

First responders are reporting multiple injuries.

Waco DPS said there was major damage to homes and vehicles, as well as severe injuries to many people.

Viewers tell NBC 5 that a nearby funeral home and an apartment complex sustained serious damage after the blast.

Interstate 35 is closed in McLennan County because of the fire.

People as far north as south Arlington reported feeling the explosion, with many thinking at first that they felt an earthquake.

NBC 5 has crews on the way and we'll update this story with more information as soon as it's available.  As this story is developing, elements may change.

NBC 5's Ben Russell contributed to this report.

I live in S.Arlington and didn't feel it...but omg it's a mess and still may explode AGAIN!

Pinned Image.Southern girl

by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:27 PM

We go out on compost fires a lot... Of course on a smaller scale than this. But it is not uncommon for it to combust...

this is a very sad situation!

starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:31 PM

yes it is..we are watching our local news and it's like a war zone, they think 20 fire fighters are dead..it's so sad... I hope that count is wrong...

Quoting ALolies:

We go out on compost fires a lot... Of course on a smaller scale than this. But it is not uncommon for it to combust...

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope it wrong too.... 

Quoting starlight1968:

yes it is..we are watching our local news and it's like a war zone, they think 20 fire fighters are dead..it's so sad... I hope that count is wrong...

Quoting ALolies:

hau_siyoka
by Doll Baby on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this

When POOP hit the fan it goes all over!!!!  My thoughts and prayers to those affected by this serious accident....So many coincidences prayer is the answer.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Apr. 18, 2013 at 6:27 AM

I am watching this morning (BTW I am 50 miles away) and there is 160 injured and 5-15 killed in this blast. 3-5 fire fighter missing. They are working on searching for victims and the video is terrible.

The blast was 2.5 on the ricter scale which could level a town this small. West is a small town with about 2500 people.  Homes, school, businesses and a nursing home was affected as well..

starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:30 AM

ty for the update...I just got up and turned it on...it's devastating...

Quoting dana63:

I am watching this morning (BTW I am 50 miles away) and there is 160 injured and 5-15 killed in this blast. 3-5 fire fighter missing. They are working on searching for victims and the video is terrible.

The blast was 2.5 on the ricter scale which could level a town this small. West is a small town with about 2500 people.  Homes, school, businesses and a nursing home was affected as well..

SeanandNoahsmom
by Manning Fan on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:19 AM
2 moms liked this

That is so tragic- my thoughts and prayers are with those affected in West, Texas. Thank goodness you are safe, Star. Here in Co, the report is dozens are dead, and about 70 injured. I believe this was an accident.

Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this

OMG, this is so scary! Is this world coming to an end? Prayers and hugs to all of you in Texas!

leighp1
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:31 AM

This video gives you an idea of how powerful this explosion was.  He probably thought he was far enough away and safe, but he really wasn't.  This was probably the scariest video I have seen.

terri-553
by Terri on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this

We live within 4 hours of Waco/Temple area,So far ,it is looking we haven't felt anything either.All,of those poor people,it is a terrible scene on t.v.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)