Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Low energy all the time. Is this normal?

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 2:51 PM
  • 17 Replies
  • 216 Total Views

Hi.  I'm soon to be 42 and I have two little girls ages 2 and 3.5.   I felt great up unitl giving birth to our youngest and I feel like I've never totally gotten back to my old self.  I work full time at a job that affords me the luxury of working at home.  I have a lot of help with the girls but still I find myself totally low on energy all the time.  If you're my age with little kids can you relate?   I don't think I'm really sick... I've been to the doctor.  I just think it's a lot of little things zapping my energy.  I want to feel like I'm in my 30s again.  Right now I feel like I'm 75.

Any suggestions for getting my energy back?

by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 2:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lbzmom
by Support Team Sister on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:09 PM
2 moms liked this

Hi, how are your iron and B vitamin levels?  I take a vegetarian iron pill and B complex vitamins.  try to drink plenty of water instead of coffee and get a good night's sleep.  If that doesn't work you might want to get your hormone levels checked.  Sometimes even the slightest depression can make us tired too.

I hope this helps.

jdy9440
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I'm 48 and care for five little ones ages two and under...I'm wiped out.

2Gs
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Quoting lbzmom:

Hi, how are your iron and B vitamin levels?  I take a vegetarian iron pill and B complex vitamins.  try to drink plenty of water instead of coffee and get a good night's sleep.  If that doesn't work you might want to get your hormone levels checked.  Sometimes even the slightest depression can make us tired too.

I hope this helps.

Probably both low.  When I was trying to get pregnant we found out that I have a genetic disorder which makes it harder for me to absorb vitamin B (folic acid).  I miscarried several times until we got my vitamin B up.  I had my levels checked a year ago and they were ok, but I'm hit or miss with my suppliments.  I may go to a nutritionist and see if I can figure out what I need to take.  I take a multivitamin, 250 of Magnesium and an iron pill most days of the week.  I notice the difference when I don't take the magnesium.  Honstly I'm a little afraid of suppliments since most aren't FDA approved.  

I also have been getting cramps in the top of my feet.  Dr. Google says that it's probably potassium being low.  

Lyricgirl65
by Sister on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Are you taking vitamins and eating well? Have you had your Iron levels checked? Proper Nutrition is important as well. sometimes we get caught up in life and tasks that we don't get proper nutitionb and that can make you very tired also. Little ones can definately tire you out for sure.

Lyricgirl65

2Gs
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Quoting Lyricgirl65:

Are you taking vitamins and eating well? Have you had your Iron levels checked? Proper Nutrition is important as well. sometimes we get caught up in life and tasks that we don't get proper nutitionb and that can make you very tired also. Little ones can definately tire you out for sure.

Lyricgirl65

Our eating is hit or miss.  We do eat fresh smoothies every day and I cook healthy meals some of the time, but other times we end up at McDonalds because I'm so dang tired.  I am going to quit my job over the summer and stay home full time with the kids for awhile.  I feel like I'm always streatched to the limit.  All the lifting is killing me.  I didn't feel this way when we only had one child.  I should have mentioned that our oldest is adopted so I've only went throuh one pregnancy and I have really fallen appart since that pregnancy.  

My kids are very easy.  They go to bed on time, sleep through the night and play very well together.

I think I need to come up with an action plan to get back to my old self. 

I may also buy a king sized bed.  I think my sleep is suffering because of our shitty mattress and small bed.

I really want to adopt a third child, but there is NO way I can pull it off given the way I feel.

rojastarr
by Fang Slayer on Apr. 21, 2013 at 4:12 PM

A vitamin deficiency can lead to fatigue, depression, body aches etc. Main culprits are low B Vitamins, Vitamin D, Iron, Magnesium....if you have been diagnosed already with a deficiency, make sure that you take your supplements. It canbe difficult at times to get a high enough dose of the vitamins thru diet. If you live in an area that has low levels of sunlight it is common to have Vit D deficiencies. If you experience heavy menses you could have reduced iron stores. Poor diet can lead to other deficiencies. Good luck and work with your physician to improve your levels and your energy and mood.

Mae1967
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 5:29 PM
Yes it's normal I am 45. It started for me in my 30's. I would have to drink mountain due or espresso straight when I worked just to get through a day. Never messed with that 5 energy stuff.
Mae1967
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 5:36 PM
Quoting Mae1967:

Yes it's normal I am 45. It started for me in my 30's. I would have to drink mountain due or espresso straight when I worked just to get through a day. Never messed with that 5 energy stuff.

Yep not eating right was one of my problems. Never did understand that low energy waiting tables soon has I got home I was full of energy practically bouncing off the walls.
Lovemyshadows
by Bronze sister on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Quoting 2Gs:

Quoting lbzmom:

I hope this helps.

Probably both low.  When I was trying to get pregnant we found out that I have a genetic disorder which makes it harder for me to absorb vitamin B (folic acid).  I miscarried several times until we got my vitamin B up.  I had my levels checked a year ago and they were ok, but I'm hit or miss with my suppliments.  I may go to a nutritionist and see if I can figure out what I need to take.  I take a multivitamin, 250 of Magnesium and an iron pill most days of the week.  I notice the difference when I don't take the magnesium.  Honstly I'm a little afraid of suppliments since most aren't FDA approved.  

I also have been getting cramps in the top of my feet.  Dr. Google says that it's probably potassium being low.  

Bananas which I'm sure you already know, have lots of potassium.

Daughter, sister, wife, mother & grandmother.
Rota
by Sister on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Working in Integrative Medicine, we see people with chronic fatigue all the time. Conventional tests by their doctors come back normal, blood work is normal but yet, the patient feels horrible. It is a simple fix- not necessarily easy,

Most of that fatigue comes from a poor diet. So that is the first step. Get lots of fresh vegetables, lots of water, a little fruit and little protein. Did I say lots of vegetable? Yes. Lots. However, even I cannot get all the vegetables I need into my daily food intake. You must - MUST get your vitamin D level up to over 50. That is the first thing that must be done. Then you also need to take good supplements- ones that your body can use- not the One a days, Centrums or  GNC brands that do you absolutely no good.  When you take a top quality vitamin/mineral  supplement, you should notice that in about 30 days you feel better. The ones that I take are made by Shaklee. A simple multivit will only cost you about $15.00 per month. I would hope you think your health it worth at least that much of an investment. Their Vitamin D is about $7.00 for at least a month. Once you take the supplements for a month, then you need to reevaluate your symptoms and then we can get you the specific  additional supplements you need. Everyone should start with an all around basic and then go from there. It is not a good idea to pick one or two vitamins or minerals and just supplement with those. Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions.

Asking your doctor about supplements and diet is like asking a 4 year old about the relationship of the stars and the planets. They haven't a clue. Doctors do not study nutrition in medical school. They are absolutely clueless about the role of nutrition in the prevention of diseases.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)