Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Go Green: Bring Your Own Bag & WIN a Reusable Bag!

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:25 PM
  • 117 Replies
  • 775 Total Views
1 mom liked this

Bring Your Own Bag!
While out shopping, you can help to reduce the amount of plastic bags littering the earth and landfills by bringing your own bag!

More than 1 billion plastic bags are consumed each day, many of which end up in landfills, or as litter. Experts agree, however, that given the choice between paper or plastic, plastic uses less energy and generates less solid waste.

But, there's an even better alternative!  If you don't already shop with reusable bags, now's the time to start. Bring your own bag(s) every time you leave your house, so you can use them for the grocery store or other errands. Your bag can go a long way to keeping even more plastic or paper bags out of landfills!

Tell us in the replies below:
Do you use reusable shopping bags? Would you like to start?
What are some other ways that we can reduce the amount of trash being added to our landfills?

Then, click here to Celebrate Earth Day! >>

One member who replies to this post by April 30th at 11pm will WIN a CafeMom Shopping Tote!

holding cloth bagClick here to start your Earth Day Journey from the beginning:
Join our Earth Day Journey - Win a $50 Gift Card and lots of other Prizes, too!

The Bring your own bag sweepstakes starts 4/21/13 at 9pm (ET) and ends 4/30/2013 at 11pm (ET) (the "Sweepstakes Period").
To enter this contest, reply to this post with an appropriate comment during the Sweepstakes Period.
Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning. One winner will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to receive a CafeMom shopping tote. The random drawing shall occur on or about 5/10/13.
No Purchase Necessary. Open to US residents 16 years and older. Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.

by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PurpleHazey
by Sister on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:32 PM

I sure do!

momofsixangels
by Silver sister on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:36 PM

I do! It cuts down on the plastic

looneymom424
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:51 PM
I do
goddess99
by Sister on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Omg we have so many reusable shopping bags, it's not even funny. I use them all the time and have for so many years, it's habit. I never forget them.

Manth
by Manth on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Here in South Australia it's actually illegal for the grocery store to give you plastic bags.  You take your own reusuable bags or you have to buy reusuable bags from the store to carry your groceries in.  I have my own small trolley since I don't drive - I walk up to the store with my trolley and just put all the groceries back into the trolley when I've gone through the checkout.  I carry insulated bags for my frozen and temperature sensitive stuff like meat and once I've put those away I stash the bags back in my trolley ready for the next trip to the store.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:02 AM

I do as much as I can I love tote bags!!!

jhelmke
by Sister on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:10 AM

I sure do. I have them in my car all the time.   They hold allot more than normal bags.

maryg38
by Sweet Mary <3 on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:18 AM
A study here in Maine was just conducted and they are stating that in less than 20years the land fills for trash are going to be overfilled.

I use my reusable as much as humanly possible. I also wash after meats have been in them to help keep bacteria at bay.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jsbuck
by Sister on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I have reusable shopping bags for groceries.  I also ask them not to bag any large items I buy so they don't run out of my cloth bags and have to use plastic ones.  If I am only getting one or two items at a store I request no bag.  I keep all the bags in the trunk of my car so they are always with me. 

jbirdsladie27
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Yes!!! Always!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)